Thread: Keeping UTI At Bay

Keeping UTI At Bay

Would it be beneficial to keep a level of antibiotic in one's body to ward off UTI?
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Hi,

No, not a good idea. That would encourage bacteria resistance, a major problem currently, where bacteria no longer responds to the antibiotic and it doesn't cure the infection-thus requiring stronger and stronger antibiotics to cure a simple infection.
    http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/

That is why clinicians should be following the CDC guidelines to only treat a UTI when there are systemic signs of an infecton such as an elevated white count, fever,etc. Bacteria in the urine only is not considered a UTI
    and should not be treated as such.

The best things to do to keep UTI's at bay are to increase fluids to 3-4 L daily, good hand hygiene and cathing technique and eat a well balanced diet.

AAD

Thanks

Good advice, SCI Nurse. Thanks for the info.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Don't forget to drink cranberry juice, here is a study that indicates it actually does prevent e coli bacteria from sticking to membranes in your bladder;

http://news.biocompare.com/newsstory.asp?id=150393

Vitamin C 500mg 2/day works for me in addition to lots of H20.

I was fed up a few months ago with fighting infection after infection. This was after 12 years of only a few infections. It seemed that I was doomed to hav ing an infection the rest of my life. I read numerous posts here for advice. Somebody suggested taking one cranberry extract pill and one vitamin-c pill in the morning. It has been like a miracle! My urine is clear all the time and I haven't had uti-like symptms since! On the rare day that I feel like I didn't drink enough water, I'll take another pill just to make sure.

I'm no scientist, but it is my understanding that the vitamin-c makes the urine acidic, which keeps bacteria away. The cranberry adds to the acidity, but also keeps any bacteria from clinging to the bladder walls and remaining there to grow. I know others can explain this better and probably more accurately, but this is my simplistic explanation that helps me.

I hope you can get this figured out. I KNOW that it is EXTREMELY frustrating, but I also know you will find something that works eventually. Good luck!

Many people have had sauccess with using cranbery pills (often better than juice due to juice's high sugar content) and vitamin C. The amount one takes varies greatly both by people's reports and in the literature.
    Youwould want to use the least amount that waould be effective for you.

AAD

I take 1G of vitamin C twice a day, 1G of mandelamine twice a day, one 10oz. glass of cranberry juice in the morning, 475mg. cranberry extract pill twice a day and I drink at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water per day. I also catheterize myself as necessary and haven't had a UTI in almost 7 years.