Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hardwood floors

I just had top of the line laminate flooring put in my family room. I love it!!! Much, much better than carpeting although I do LIKE carpeting. What I got was Armstrong Laminate and I am just thrilled with it. Also, you don't clean it ever with sudsy water. You just dry or damp mop and that's it.

going on 11 years for my pergo. 4 dogs, 2 cats, kids and wheelchairs. still looks great. furniture has been literally dragged across it, too.

hardwood floors

thank you all so much for the input - i am going to go check things out tomarrow - sure glad i checked here with you all . sounds like you all like the wood and more than likely that is what i will go for. will let you all know.
    trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never met

If you get wood floors make sure they are good quality.The pre-finished ones can only be sanded down once or maybe twice, We put in oak flooring and it has been great, we had an extra coat of sealer put on. Never had pebble problem in seven years. I am ripping out the laminate flooring in the kitchen and putting in wood, the laminate is loud, cold and shows spots and dust easily, although it is very w/c friendly. Will keep the laminate in the laundry room as a buffer before the hardwoods, to melt off the snow, dry from the rain. Wonder how bamboo would be, pretty eco-friendly. The one thing I liked about the laminate was watching the cat slide around the corners on her butt since she could get no purchase on the laminate on a fast run!

It's much easier to run a dust mop/broom over a hardwood floor from a WC than it is to vacuum carpet from a WC.

If you get the good stuff that's made to last forever, it really will last forever. My mom got some laminate stuff for her kitchen and it's scratched and scuffed all to hell now, but I know other places that have some really nice hardwood flooring that has been there forever and is in really good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    In terms of keeping your floors clean, I would suggest getting a Roomba. These things really work!

C.
    I was going to say the same thing...We have one and are considering a second b/c the layout of our house lends itself to multiple since it's multi bldgs...Also looking at the Scooba from the same company....

Hard surface floors are def WAYYYY better than carpet, wether you go hardwood, laminate or tile...whichever your pref...Carpet has 1001 drawbacks . I have hardwood that's waiting to be exposed and refnished from under commercial lenolium tiles, concrete w.comercial lenolium tiles waitng for laminate to be put down and slate tile...Roomba does all surfaces beautifully
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Wood all the way ..

We put beautiful oak wood floors in our newly built house, we'd never do carpet again. Carpet got dirty way to quickly, we also had them out an extra coat of protectorant on whn the stained the floor, it's worked wonders. About 6 months with a dirt yard, snow, and salt no scratches yet.

About cleaning bought a Roomba and put central vacuum in the house so cleaning has been a sinch. The roomba is amazing, and we are definatly thinking about a scooba as well for the winter time and the occasional mess. We thought we'd never use the roomba but fiqured we'd give it a try anyway now we use it all the time --great product.

roomba: 2 questions. how do your pets react to it? does it suck up larger things (like a pen) that would screw it up; in other words, how delicate are its mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    roomba: 2 questions. how do your pets react to it? does it suck up larger things (like a pen) that would screw it up; in other words, how delicate are its mechanics?
    my cat sometimes chases it, sometimes runs away...some of the other cats react differently. The dogs are primarily outdoors, so they aren't inside when it runs. The bird squaks over it's running, but then she squaks over a standard vacuum that's much nosier, so it's similar reaction.

No, it couldn't suck up a pen, the resoivoir isn't that large. It has run over coins, not picked them up, but does pick up leaves.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I'm very happy with my hard wood floors. Cleaning is a quick pass of the Swiffer every week or so. It rarely needs mopping, only a damp cloth for spills.

My friends are in the process of installing cork flooring in kitchen, family room, halls, and entry. They abused a sample area, in every way imaginable, for months before making the decision. The kitchen is complete. It is the nicest surface I have ever rolled across, for both my chair and walker! Yes, I took part in the abuse experiment.