Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hardwood floors

hardwood floors

i am having a house built most of it is done but now i need to make a desicion of hardwood floors or flat carpet . the place i live now has that flat carpet looking stuff in it which works fine for moving around in the chair but i can get some hardwood flooring at cost , i like the look of a hardwood floor but i would like the opinions of those whom have hardwood and whether your happy with it or not. my friend says what if you get a pebble in your tire and it scrapes and scuffs the floor ? i am so confused - opinions ? thanx
    trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never met

I have wood floors in my house but
    the path I mostly travel on is covered by very thin carpet so I don't scratch the wood. My Dad upkeeps the floor, vacuum and polish. Carpet only needs vacuuming, but the look of wood floors is very elegant. For me I can barely push my chair on the wood floor so I would prefer the wood. If you can push over carpet then the choice comes down aesthetics.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

HEY cHESTER,
    After my SCI I had all the carpet removed from my house cause it was like pushing through sand. (It had a pretty thick padding.) I installed a commercial grade perggo laminate fake hardwood. Looks good and is supposed to be tougher than real hardwood. Been pushing on it 10 months. No scratches yet. Only complaint is it is harder to keep clean than carpet. Carpet you just vacuum. Wood has to be swept and mopped pretty often to keep the dust bunnies down. Hope this helps you with your decision. Ultimately my choice remains wood.
    Grange

Wood, wood, wood! Cleaner, holds up fine and it's much easier on you.

Agreed with chiappa - wood. I have hickory floors throughout with area rugs. I would not go with carpeting given the dirt, tire tracks, etc.

Good luck with your new place.

I have mahogony hardwood and haven't had a scratch on them yet. The biggest issue I have with them comes when I come in from outside and it has been raining. I leave tracks on the floor, but it's nothing a mop can't clean up.

We have wood in our house. Real hardwood. Original to the home. It's pretty good with the diamond hard finish (durability wise). Easy to clean.

My advice to you, would be to go for a top of the line, wood laminate floor. They come with 25 and 30 year warranty.

I saw a thing on TLC comparing wood floors. They dropped hammers, tomato tins, walked on them with pointy high heals and even had a rugby team scrum accross the floors.

The high quality wood laminate faired the best.

Good luck! This must be a very exciting time for you!

I hate carpet - it just holds dirt and crap no matter how much you vacuum ... but then again I have some shedding cats here.

Laminate is definately hard to keep up with to keep clean. You have to sweep every other day at the least and mop often ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by chester
    the place i live now has that flat carpet looking stuff in it which works fine for moving around in the chair but i can get some hardwood flooring at cost
    Berber and other types of flat carpet can look great and not be terribly difficult to push around on, but nothing beats hardwood for beating inertia. It is ever so much easier to carry a full wine glass when pushing across a floor that allows one to roll easily. It is almost impossible to push and steer with one hand across carpet, but with practice, it can be done on hard floors where one can maintain a bit of momentum.

i like the look of a hardwood floor but i would like the opinions of those whom have hardwood and whether your happy with it or not. my friend says what if you get a pebble in your tire and it scrapes and scuffs the floor ?
    I would worry a lot more about the damage that women in high heels could do to your hardwood floors than what could be done if you happen to catch a pebble. Even if you did, you'd notice it long before it could possibly do damage.

In terms of keeping your floors clean, I would suggest getting a Roomba. These things really work!

C.

Go With Wood, You Will Get Scratches Regardless Nothing You Can Do. Yes The Forst Couple Of Scratches Will Hurt But Trust Me Well Worth It. (they Do Get Pretty Dusty)