Thread: Feedback from SCI patients

Feedback from SCI patients

I read the thread below which is related to SCI patients with OEC surgery done by Dr. Huang Hongyun. I 'd like to share it with you here.

[Quote]

"Dear all,

It has been over 5 years since Dr. Huang and his medical team did the first OEC transplant for a patient from oversea country. We’d like to thank you for your persistent trust and support. During follow-up research we received many feedback from our patients, which are great helpful and inspiring to us. Now we want to share some from SCI patients with you. We have to admit, though many patients gained improvements from OEC treatment, some also reported no changes could be felt after surgery.

To date as our physician observe the outcome of patients who accept Physical Therapy are more satisfying than those don't. Strongly we advise you read a letter from Mr. David Landewee, a gentleman from USA suffered SCI for near 10 years by visiting the address below

http://www.nrrfr.com/bbs_English_nr.asp?type_name=&classid=156

”It takes a newborn a year or more to walk and there is nothing wrong with their spinal cord so patients should not expect to use their muscles again without intensive physical therapy and work. This is the hardest thing I have ever done but the results are paying off.”··· I can’t agree with him any more.

If possible more follow-up information will be posted.

Hope you enjoy and get some revelation from them !

Bridget Fuqua
    from USA who underwent surgery in April 2004
    “I have emailed Dr. Huang. I let him know that I continue to get more sensory (feeling) back. It has been continuous.
    Immediately after the surgery for about a month I continued to get motor and sensory functions back. After about six months I did not notice much. But this past year I have noticed more sensation in so many areas. It seems to stay and not go away. It is permanent as far as I can feel.”

Casey
    from Canada, who accepted surgery in March 2006,
    JAN 13TH , 2007
    DEAR ANGELA
    WE TRIED FAXING YOU SOME TIME AGO, BUT IT WOULD NOT GO THROUGH.
    CASEY IS DOING WELL, HE HAS PRETTY WELL COMPLETE BOWEL MOVEMENT JUST AS YOU OR I SINCE THE OPERATION. HE HAS MORE FEELING IN HIS BACK , HE ALSO SAYS HIS SEX LIFE IS BETTER, HE'LL KILL ME FOR TELLING YOU THAT, BUT THATS WHAT HE SAYS. SHANDY IS STILL WITH AND REALLY LOOKS AFTER HIM WELL. ON JAN. 22ND CASEY AND I ARE GOING TO REGINA TO THE REHAB CENTRE. AS THEY HAVE MADE BRACES FOR HIM, SO THEY ARE GOING TO TRY GET HIM STANDING UP. I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WILL HAPPEN WITH NO TRUNK, BUT THEY SAY HE HAS ENOUGH STRENGTH IN HIS UPPER BODY. NOW HERES FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, HE IS GETTING STOMACH MUSCLES, HE CAN MAKE HIS TUMMY HARD AS A ROCK. HE EXERCISES MANY HOURS A DAY. WE ARE WAINTING FOR THE DAY HE MOVES A TOE, BECAUSE KNOWING CASEY IF HE MOVES A TOE BY THE END OF THE WEEK HE'LL MOVE A FOOT AND THEN A LEG, SO WE ARE PRAYING FOR MORE TO HAPPEN. THANK YOU ALL.
    PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH
    YOURS TRULY
    CASEY, SHANDY AND DELLA (THE MOTHER)

Marek Zuk
    from Canada, staying in our institute in July 2005,
    sorry, for not getting back to you, my father has received a lot of feeling back in his legs that he didn't have before, he can crawl durning physical theropy
    marek zuk

Michael Brickert
    from USA coming to Beijing in January 2006,
    “I seem to have more core strength as my balance seems to be improving. My spasticity has changed as well. All changes are very slow, so it is difficult to recognize if change is occurring. No real significant changes have occurred, just small changes.
    (April 11 2007)
    “I have experienced some spasticity changes as they are stronger. I also noticed a little more stability due to the strengthing of my stomach area. I can feel the tightness in my lower abdominals as I try to squeeze with my stomach muscles. The cooling effect that I have always felt deep inside my legs, is more pronouned. "

More
    http://www.nrrfr.com/bbs_English_nr....e=&classid=348

When I hear about moving legs & Walking I'll sign up.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Qiqibaby: thanks for sharing those information.

Hi Norm, every one has the right to make his own choice. But in my opinion, getting something is better than nothing. Though it is not a cure
    to date.

[quote=Norm]When I hear about moving legs & Walking I'll sign up.]