Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drive from manual chair??

Drive from manual chair??

ok....I desperatly want to use my Quickie Revolution with e-motion wheels full time instead of my powerchair.

I have a converted 1998 Dodge Caravan with lowered floor and ramp. I have 2 kids so I cannot afford another vehicle or manual chair right now.

Is there any way that I can drive from my manual chair? I have EZ lock but the frame on the Revolution doesn't support a bracket. Is there any other lock-down besides tie downs that we can use?

TIA
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Is your chair an open frame or a box frame? I have a TI-Lite Evo which is a box frame and a relatively inexpensive chair ($1900) which I use e.motion wheels with. It will be difficult if you have an open frame chair, but with a box frame you can look for a local machine shop to fabricate a mount for an ezlock. I know lots of guys who drive from manual chairs who have had custom lockdowns made.

I will try to get some pictures posted.

Justin

check out the ryno mobility site, they offer another style lockdown system. Kristi has it in her Titan, she can tell you how she likes it. I hope you find something that works for you with what you currently have. Good luck in your search.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Hey, Thanks for the replies!

My chair is an open frame. That's the problem as there is nowhere underneath the chair to attach the bolt for the ez-lock.

Thanks Chelle for the link. Do you know how that works?

Here is a pic of my chair
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

dunno most ppl i've heard talkin bout lock downs always say they needed a box frame chair for their ezlock.

an yea, i'm jealous you out drivin all over ga. an i'm still here bein lazy with my lil station wagon i can't afford hand controls for, lol.

hope yall are doin good an get it figured out though. that manual will be a whole lot easier to get around in. build up them muscles too. is that a roho back? i just got one ya know, took a lil gettin used to bein low but feels better than the jay2.

you seen that invacare power i got. it's still sittin against the wall with clothes on it, lol. i can't get used to power for some reason. i just get in it every now an then so i can get some sun an tilt back.

Try transferring Shannon. Take the passenger seat out, leave your w/c in that spot, put the driver's seat in front of the wheel and at least give it a shot. You might surprise yourself. You can always add a swivel base later if you like it. If not, no money lost.

It only takes a couple minutes and the van seat is way more comfy to drive from.

just my $0.02

I'm probably breaking 1000 rules here but I don't use a lockdown - never have. I simply use my regular wc tire brakes and my seatbelt So far, knock on wood,, going on 7yrs I haven't had a problem.
    Btw, I'm C6-7.

I don't see how you haven't flipped over backwards or slid into the dash Chris... you can't be THAT cautious of a driver. Any hard acceleration or emergency braking would toss a manual chair around.

Nope, never. Now, when I have had potential problems with accelerating and the possibility of flipping over backwards my knees have caught the steering wheel and stopped me. This has happened maybe 3 times in 7yrs. As far as stopping, no, I've never had a problem. And yes, I am a very careful driver, especially in the van which I generally use for local errands because without the lockdowns I can be in/out of the vehicle in about 45 seconds. Plus, my van usually has my three dogs in it so I tend to be more careful in case one of them flies around due to any sudden maneuvers.

Hey, those of us who learned to drive 26yrs ago in NJ learned some skills brah. Give me a little credit, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    the van seat is way more comfy to drive from.
    Not to mention safer in the event of a crash.

C.