Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recent para just need some advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy recent para just need some advice

i was recently paralyzed in a diving acident i shaterd my 1st lumbar i just got home from the hospital and had my 1st pt appontmant today and i know i still have a long way to go and i just want some advice on what i should get use to sence im only 16 and i relly want to talk to some other paras please help!!!!

Blonco, welcome to our forums! We are glad that you found us so quickly. (how did you find us???).

As we say, we are glad you found us...but are sorry you had to. You are going through a tough time right now...the first few weeks to months at home are generally the hardest part of SCI.

I am glad you will be continuing in therapy. What goals will you be working on?

Are you already independent in all your own care? Still in a back brace? Where did you do your inpatient rehab?

What is your actual level of injury and ASIA category? I am assuming you are only very recently injured....it is too early to say how much you will get back. At least 2 years is needed to know this.

Were you already driving alone? Do you have plans to get hand controls and driver's ed?

When will you be going back to school? It is important to do this as soon as you can. Are your friends hanging in there with you?

Please ask whatever questions you need help with. We are here to help.

(KLD)

Hello Blonco. Any questions you have or things you want to talk about this is the place.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Hi Blonco - you're young and resilient. Try to stay positive, it will help in your recovery Welcome ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by blonco
    i was recently paralyzed in a diving acident i shaterd my 1st lumbar i just got home from the hospital and had my 1st pt appontmant today and i know i still have a long way to go and i just want some advice on what i should get use to sence im only 16 and i relly want to talk to some other paras please help!!!!
    Hi Blonco,
    I am a para with a burst fracture of L1 vertabrae. One year four months post injury. My injury is classified as Complete Asia A. I am older than you but I'll be glad to answer questions about my experience so far. I drive, live on my own with my 13 year old son every other week, am back to work, have been on a coupla dates, ride my 4 wheeler, jet ski, etc.. etc.... Life is different but it beats the other alternative that faced me when I crashed my airplane. I'm really grateful to be alive and find that there is not much I can't figure a way to do. Stay positive talk to your friends and parents. Ask questions here and never quit trying. It will get better.

Answer the SCI nurses questions. It helps us know how to help you.

I think it's great you found this forum so quickly. It took me a year. Just keep in mind, nobody knows exactly what is right for you or exactly what you are feeling. Listen to the nurses and those who share their experiences with you and there is alot of good info and stuff here.

Good luck my friend,
    Grange

Hi, Blonco, my son is a T-3,4,5,6 ??? complete, almost two years post from a motocross accident. He was 15. I will try to get him here to talk to you.

Jimmy is back in high school, driving, working, a pretty well adjusted teenage boy.

Where are you from?

Blonco: ditto mom277. My son's now 20, 2.5 post from an auto accident. T12/L1. He was 17. He drives, finished high school, going to college, has a girl friend, went to his prom, etc. I'll try to get him on here to talk to you or to PM you.
    Its scary and hard, but you will get there. Give it time, push yourself and be patient at the same time.
    If you have specific questions or problems, check out the other forums. There's a lot of information out there and you'll find we (as a group) will answer any question. And I do mean ANY question. You will find a lot of information that the hospitals just don't tell you or don't know. They deal with SCI on the short term, accute stage. This forum has member that are 30 years out. They know what works, doesn't work and how to try.
    Sorry you had to find us, but you'll be glad you did.
    BeeBee

Hi Blonco,
    I too am new to my SCI. I have a burst fracture at the T8 level caused by sleepwalking-I fell off my second story deck. I wore a TLSO for 4 months, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and 4 weeks at rehab. I am 6 months post injury and trying to become more independent. I joined the forum in Apr. and have enjoyed it since. Good Luck with everything.

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by blonco
    i was recently paralyzed in a diving acident i shaded my ST lumbar i just got home from the hospital and had my ST pt appointment today and i know i still have a long way to go and i just want some advice on what i should get use to séance I'm only 16 and i Reilly want to talk to some other paras please help!!!!
    Hi blonco,

Sorry to see you have to join our group. I don't really know how bad your injury is but your young and resilient and just try to stay positive if you can.

My son and I are both low levels SCI.
    I'm a L4-S1 with a permanent Cauda Equina injury, almost 5 years now stuck to my chair .

My son on the other hand, was younger like you. He broke his back at T12-L1 during a JV football scrimmage when he was 16. (He's 22 now)
    He had a excellent surgeon. With bone grafting, SS caging, and 9 months in a TLSO he is 95% recovered and walking unassisted after rehab.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Hey, Blonco, welcome!
    This is a great place - you can get the best advice there is from the best people there are, who have been there, done that (there's only a couple of grouches, they're easy to ignore!). Don't be afraid to ask about ANYTHING. We all know how overwhelming this thing is, especially at first. Ask and ye shall receive! And before you know it, you'll be helping others.
    - Richard