Thread: Question about indwelling catheter

Question about indwelling catheter

I have had a constant problem and no one seems to know what is wrong. I'm a T11,T12 para and have been in my wheelchair for 6 years. I have a indwelling foley catheter which I have change every 3 to 4 weeks. I use the Rochester catheters which are embedded with antibiotic. For the past few months I have had spasm in my bladder even though I'm not suppose to have feeling from my waist down I can feel the spasms, sometimes they are severe, they don't last long , sometimes they get so bad it causes my legs to raise up. Sometimes the spasms come and go when I'm in bed at night and in the morning I find that my indwelling catheter had come out with the balloon still inflated. It has happened several times. I went to a urologist, I had a cystogram and a sonogram of my kidneys, nothing abnormal.The Dr. say I had small bit of back flow of urine into the kidneys which wasn't that serious. The urologist could not tell me why my catheter keeps coming out. I did ask him if he had any experience treating para's with indwelling... he told me that he takes care of older patients with foley catheters in the nursing homes. I thought to myself I need to find another Urologist!!!! I have the name of another Urologist who has treated many para's. I thought I would ask this group if anyone ever had this happen to them and if anyone would have any suggestions before I go to the new Dr.
    Thanks
    MJ in Florida

If you are determined to keep an indwelling catheter rather than doing intermittent cath, you may want to consider a SP catheter. Women who have had an indwelling for some time, and who are also going through perimenopause or menopause often have problems "sealing" around a urethral catheter.

Are you taking any anticholenrgic medications? This would help to reduce your risk of reflux. Over time, any amount of reflux is of concern for a person with SCI.

Have you considered options to an indwelling catheter such as intermittent cath, with or without a procedure such as a Mitrofanoff?

The bladder is innervated from T10 - L2, and S2 - S4. The higher level innervation could explain your sensation to bladder spasm. Do you get menstrual cramps? The uterus is innervated at T-10.

I would certainly support your decision to find a more experienced and knowledgeable neurologic urologist.

(KLD)

I had a hystorectomy(sp) many years ago, so I've already gone through menopause years ago. I am seriously about having a Mitrofanoff procedure.
    I'm currently taking 4mg of Detrol LA, the previous urologist prescribed for me. I'm not sure if I need more mg.... I'm calling the new urologist today hopefully he will be able to help me.
    Thanks for your help.

MJ