Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette question

Etiquette question

Hi, I am new to this site. My husband had a mountain bike accident last September and sustained a C3-4 SCI. Our community has been very supportive and many people have given us donations to help with the cost associated with his condition. My question is should I send a thank-you to every one who has given a donation? There are hundreds of people and my plate is already more than a little full.
    I am so glad I found this site and have already bought Vetericyn to help with the uti problem.

I did but I did not have several hundred to send out. Do you have a local newspaper that you could put a business card size ad/article in thanking everyone at once?

This site is wonderful, believe me when we say we understand about the plate being to full. (((hugs))) to you

Hello "Saultite,"

to the Care Cure Community. Sorry to hear about your husband's accident and subsequent spinal cord injury.

It is always best to acknowledge these kinds of gifts and donations. The idea of using the local newspaper is a good one. If you want to send personal thank yous, you might enlist a few good friends to help with the task.

All the best,
    GJ

We created kind of a form style letter for donations that we could personalize and that was sent to all gift givers. It is also the perfect opportunity to put some of the people to work that want to help you. There is nothing wrong with having those people compile addresses, sign thank-you's, and send them for you. As appreciated as the gifts are, do not feel guilty to use any free time for yourself.
    (The newspaper ad is great too.)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    I did but I did not have several hundred to send out. Do you have a local newspaper that you could put a business card size ad/article in thanking everyone at once?

A letter to the editor of your daily should do the trick. If any organizations or individuals were especially generous with time, materials and/or money, you might wish to send a handwritten note to each of those individuals/groups.

When my husband had his injury his employer and friends had a huge benefit. So many people and companies were involved in donating items not to mention the people that came, radio station make a wish to send the kids to visit us in rehab etc.

I thanked everyone the best I could, but wrote a letter to the editor about what a great community we live in.

Recently a friend of my Mom's son and daughter in law died in a horrific car accident. I sent a card, and was so surprised to see that in the midst of her unbearable family grief, I recieved a printed note with a picture of the couple thanking me for my card..wow. I found out her husband did it on his personal computer..it wasnt a personal hand written note of course, but a lovely sentiment that acknowledged me and just made me feel so in awe of that effort.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Welcome saultite - sorry you had to find us but sure glad you did !

I did the same as some others have mentioned with a thank you placed in our local paper. We live in a town of about 700 souls and Bill has been injured for over 14 years - we still get little tokens of support financial and otherwise - sometimes anonymously. I've never figured out how to acknowledge those adequately in my mind - but those givers are often in my prayers - occasionally I will put something in the paper mentioning those gestures tucked in a xmas greeting or a Valentine thanking those silent angels.

I don't know about the rest of you folks but I've always found it much harder to receive with grace than to give - but I've finally gotten to a point in my life now that I know I would be as generous as I could be if the shoe was on the other foot - I also believe that everything we put out there comes back to us sooner or later - to me it's the right way to live life and I trust and abide by that philosophy daily as best I can.

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Welcome Saultite. My condolences to your husband. Best wish's to the both of you in your new venture in life. It will be difficult but, every bit of it can be addressed and concurred. Be patient with him. Stay tuned to this site for all your questions, concerns, support and, understanding. It will not fail you.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

welcome to carecure.