Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probing questions from family!!

Question Probing questions from family!!

I'm curious how you guys would handle this situation ...... since Bill has been in the hospital (for about the gazillionth time) to heal a sore ... people keep asking me ....why this keeps happening and would having the alternating pressure mattress on his bed all the time help. Yadda yadda yadda ........ I feel I've had to explain again and again to the same people about the why and hows his pressure sores become a problem and that sometimes even with the most cautious care a person with sci still gets them (ie. Christopher Reeve) !
    Then I got thinking .... maybe I'm wrong .... maybe it would it be better for Bill to sleep on one of these $16,000 mattresses all the time (I got a quote from KCI for the Therakair Visio)! But if we do that then we need to get a hospital bed to put it on and ... oh ... I don't know it all gets so clinical looking .. and we've tried so hard to avoid this as much as possible. Our bedroom looks like a hospital room as it is .... but I've never had any qualms about doing what needs to be done if thats the only way ... however from what I read here and in the Care forum not even many high level quads sleep on an actual alternating pressure mattress "all" the time .. just a really good quality bed with a memory foam overlay or something similar ...... somehow people are making me think twice that maybe we aren't doing the right thing and that is why he keeps getting pressure sores.

But I know .... I really do know ... Bill doesn't get a sore because he's lying on one side or his back all the time night and day... day and night (like an elderly person in a nursing home might) ...... he gets them from everyday wear and tear ... living life ... and doesn't do skin checks like he should ...... and I know if he would take these little scrapes seriously right away they probably wouldn't develop into what they inevitably become (even after all my tender loving care ) ..... so to my way of thinking the type of mattress he sleeps on isn't the issue ..... its my stubborn man who won't check his skin on a daily basis (because ..... because I don't know why ) and I've conceded to this fact simply because in the end it is he who suffers for it not me .... I've done/do all I can to encourage/educate him .... but you know .. you can lead a horse to water etc. etc. ..........
    What do we think ??????????

Obieone
    Actually my ferverant wish is ... is that our health district (which I am a board member on) would buy one of these mattresses so its in the hospital all the time ... not just for Bill's use but for anyone else who requires it .... but ... its a wee small town hospital with a teeney tiny budget. I've decided to make a request to our local foundation for at least some of the money toward the purchase of it .... so we'll see where that goes!!
    Last edited by Obieone; 04-01-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I am sure they are just wanting to be helpful and supportive. Are they willing to help pay for an appropriate mattress???

Where are his pressure ulcers? If sacral or heels or trochanter, then these are laying down pressure ulcers. If ischial, these are sitting pressure ulcers. Once he has breakdown, his skin is always weaker. Of course he needs to get into the habit of inspection both AM and PM....it will save a lot of grief.

If he can get a low air loss bed, then this will help to prevent laying down pressure ulcers, esp. if you are not able to help him turn every 2 hours. If you get a hospital bed, you can put a regular twin bed right next to it for you to sleep in. Keep the side rail down on that side, and you can still snuggle, etc.

Don't put the LAL mattress on a bed without side rails. One of our SCI clients recently took the side rails off his LAL bed and fell out of bed, sustaining a serious TBI.

There are other manufacturers of LAL mattresses other than KCI...they are the most expensive in my experience. Triline (in the USA) has much more reasonable prices and good quality. You can also often find them used. Here is one right now on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/WOUND-CARE-PLEXU...QQcmdZViewItem

As far as your hospital, purchasing can be problematic as cleaning them is complex, breakdowns frequent, and storage can be a problem. We rent them when needed and have contracts with companies that will provide delivery and set up within 4 hours 24/7. You might want to explore that. They definitely should have them available for use for both prevention and treatment if they are going to meeting clinical standards for prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers.

(KLD)

Obie,

I have used one of these since I was discharged in 1997 and it works great. I have it set to rotate from side-to-side every 30 minutes.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Yes, a good mattress. We use a lot of TurnQ mattresses both in the hospital and at home. The Triline comparable product is the TurnCair (cheaper new).

(KLD)

Chad sleeps on an alternating channel overlay on top of our bed (which is a hospital style for convenience but it just a flat ... very uncomfy I may add! ... mattress. The airflow overlay is really good. I'll have to ask Chad the name of it and I'll post it later. -- Ami

p.s. I get SO sick of the same questions from family, friends and even perfect strangers too!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

... however from what I read here and in the Care forum not even many high level quads sleep on an actual alternating pressure mattress "all" the time .. j

My son's level is a C2 post injury 1 yr. and he (knock on wood) has not had any pressure sores. I really believe it is because he sleeps on an alternating pressure mattress, not pad, all the time. Maybe he has just been lucky but, I highly recommend one.

I say get the most expensive bed you can and have the Canadian government pay for it ... he obviously needs it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I say get the most expensive bed you can and have the Canadian government pay for it
    This was mentioned before ~ does the government pay for beds????

Quote Originally Posted by shelley
    This was mentioned before ~ does the government pay for beds????
    I think it might vary from province to province. But my (outrageously expensive) bed and turning mattress was fully paid for under my province's Aids to Daily Living program. I know that having a turning mattress has helped a great deal with my skin and lungs. I don't use the turning feature every night because I often sleep on my stomach and so I don't need to be turned. However it has made things much easier for me and my caregivers. If you can get it funded obie it might be worth looking into getting one. I hope Bill gets better soon.

hmmmm, very interesting. Thanks OJ, I had no idea.

P.S. Been wondering where you were. Hope you're doing ok.