Thread: Purpose of the caregiver's forum

Purpose of the caregiver's forum

The caregiver's forum was created shortly after the old 'sci-wire' forum was up and running. For those of you who remember what an elephant that was, we've come a long way! Thank you, Wise, for keeping it going!

As the mom of a C5-6 quad, the early forums were very informative for me, as we were still pretty new to all this SCI-dom. But I felt like there was a need for caregivers and family members to communicate about our own needs, and feelings, and problems while incorporating our loved ones back into the life of the family.

Sooo, I emailed Wise and suggested a 'caregivers' forum, specifically created for caregivers and family members. The response from Wise was, 'sure, I'll create it - you moderate it!' The forum began as a haven for us as family members; we, for the first time, felt the freedom to be able to express our own feelings as they related to the sorrows, guilt, ups and downs of our new lives. SCI is a life-changing injury, not only for the person with the injury, but for all those around him/her.

We certainly welcomed comments and points of view from other members of the forum; but as we had, ourselves, been told many times; you folks with SCI don't know what it's like on the other side of the table, which is our side; the family side, the caregivers side. So if you don't have anything positive to say, don't come in here and blast someone for expressing their feelings.

It's a shame that we lose so many new members because of topics that turn into personal diatribes, either with another member or with the original poster. People who come here for help, and find themselves at the business end of a loaded verbal gun just by asking for help.

I would like to remind anyone who posts here, especially in the caregivers forum, to have respect in answering questions raised, or don't reply at all. You have plenty of opportunities in other forums to vent, and take jibes at each other. If you don't have anything helpful to contribute, we would respectfully like to show you the door.

Obieone is doing a terrific job as moderator, even in the face of very difficult times for her and her husband. Please also offer her the respect she deserves.

I'd like to see the caregivers forum turn back into the haven it once was.

I apologize if I contributed to this problem. I honestly didn't know how else to handle the explosion of rage I got when I saw, yet again, the "wise Chinese woman" quoted as saying she'd never met a poor person, only lazy ones. I still don't know if my reaction was worthy of another thread. I hope the poster that started the thread will realize I don't always blow up, and that eruption wasn't as random as it may have looked. The judgmental treatment of a new poster, the airy dismissal of a person's honest question with the self-righteous use (yet again) of that quote...well, you saw the result, most likely.

Anyway, I'm sorry. I had a rotten day.

I agree, Obieone does a great job.

Thanks, Marm.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady

Obieone is doing a terrific job as moderator, even in the face of very difficult times for her and her husband. Please also offer her the respect she deserves.

I'd like to see the caregivers forum turn back into the haven it once was.
    Yes.

I'd especially ask people who are not caregivers to tread lightly here. There are times when--believe it or not--these threads are not about you.

Obieone , Kate

Congratulations ,You & Everyone that helped & help in establishing & maintaing this site are doing such a great job !
    I can't describe how gratifying is to know that I am not alone when life gets tough .

My thanks to all the moderators and caregivers in this forum who have helped me and many other "newbies"... This is my caregiving lifeline!

Sieg