Thread: Tailbone sore

Tailbone sore

I have an open area over my tailbone area (crack of my butt). There are actually 3 open areas that look like a blister after it's opened up (but not red). The largest one is the size of a nickel, the other two are the size of a pencil eraser. What should I do?? I've never had anything like this before. The biggest problem seems to be that the areas stay wet and won't dry out. I've tried gauze pads but they haven't helped. Of course it's hard to keep anything on that area too! Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

i too have had this problem--i use proderm spray am and pm and still sit on a roho all day. helps to lie on side at night to get air on them after spraying. mine usually go away in a few weeks.

If it is open, you need to stay off of it completely. No laying on your back, no sitting. You need to see your SCI physician and a wound care expert now. Don't try to self-treat lesions in this area.

Why are you wet all the time? This needs to be managed.

Breakdown in this area is often due to being wet, too tight slacks, getting "wedgies" by someone lifting you by your slacks or skirt belt, too bulky underwear, or by sitting with considerable pelvic tilt in the wheelchair.

If you have not had a full seating evaluation, you need to get one when you get off your downtime. Avoid pants or skirts with midback seams, and be sure you are sitting bolt upright. Get your incontinence or other reasons for wetness under control.

(KLD)

Thanks for your prompt answer SCI Nurse. I do have a call in to my SCI doctor but thought I'd post here in the meantime. I didn't explain myself well I guess. What I meant about the areas staying wet was the open areas themselves (kind of oozy). I don't have a problem with incontinence thank god. I don't really fit into any of the categories you mention as problems other than the fact that I'm up in my wheelchair all day but I've always spent this amount of time in my chair. I'm also pretty vigilant about weight shifting and pressure relief. So I'm sort of puzzled as to what caused this area to breakdown. Not that it matters now unfortunately. Anyway, thanks everyone.

Maureen, it could be the type of cushion you have, combined with body heat and summer heat.

Maureen, do yourself a big favor and follow spinal nurse's advice by having pressure mapping done for seating and positioning. If the breakdown area shows up red on the mapping, there is too much pressure there. SCI does not stay the same. Aging creates changes for all of us. If excessive pressure is not indicated, then it may be that there is just too much heat and sweat, as was suggested, and you should be able to do something about it.

You need to see your SCI Md and get those healed.
    Do you use any type of protective skin barrier?
    Once the area is healed, you can apply the ksin protection barrier which acts a protector and doesn't allow the moisture to penetrate it and get to the skin. This should be applied every 4 hours or so during the day.
    There are many products out there that are effective.
    You have to dry the skin very well, apply right away, then barrier allow to dry before putting clothes on.

CWO