Thread: Compressed L-5 Vertabrae

Compressed L-5 Vertabrae

A friend of mine just got diagnosed with what seems like a strange problem.

He is a para at T11 / T12 level and about 20 years post SCI. He was just in the hospital for a bad bladder infection. While in and doing tests they did a CAT scan for bladder / kidneys and in the process came up with results showing his L5 vertabrae is cracked / broken and compressing on his L4 vertabrae.

They can't come up with a specific reason. He has been in a lot of pain for serveral months and perhaps it is related to this.

Right now he is just getting pain killers prescribed and Doctors have not come up with a plan of action for treatment yet. They are compiling his records.

In the meantime has anyone exerienced anything like this? Any ideas on cause and / or treatment?

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

It sounds like he may have what is called a Charcot spine. Charcot joints only occur in denervated bone. I would suggest that he see an experienced spinal surgeon (orthopedist or neurosurgeon) and ask that they evaluate you for this condition. If it is near the ends of rods, he may also need an evaluation for possible osteomyelitis. Surgery may be required.

(KLD)

I don't know if this helps at all, but when I had my accident I shattered L1...My neurosurgeon advised my parents at that time that my L5 was degenerated and the disk compressed. Nothing severe enough to warrant surgery to L5 then obviously, but something for me to be aware of. It's entirely possible that he could have injured the vertebrae in a fall out of his w/c and not even known about it...The disk could be degenerated b/c of a thousand different reasons, including genetics...I know that my L5 disk was more than likely a combination of genetics and abuse...I had a very physically demanding career and was always abusing my back...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I've never heard of such a thing.. how was this diagnosed exactly??
    I collect electronics! If you have any that do not work, I might be able to help you.. OR not.. lol

Looking to video chat if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Laz3Chris View Post
    I've never heard of such a thing.. how was this diagnosed exactly??
    Not sure what you are asking....this thread is over 3 years old, so it is not likely to be very active still.

(KLD)