Thread: Pressure sore, burns and zinc question...

Pressure sore, burns and zinc question...

I copied these two quotes out of other threads, one a question adbout a pressure sore, one specifically about zinc supplements....
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    He should also be eating a diet high in protein, calories, and vitamins C, A, and E. He should also be taking a zinc supplement.(KLD)
    Zinc should not be supplemented unless you have an open draining pressure ulcer. It helps the cells close a draining wound, and is lost in the drainage. Once the wound is closed or dry, the zinc should be stopped. There is no evidence that taking zinc preventively will keep skin strong or prevent pressure ulcers. Zinc taken in circumstances other than an open draining wound can cause zinc toxicity.(KLD)
    Now, here's my actual questions...
    1) should everyone who is trying to heal a pressure sore be taking a zinc supplement? If not, what is the determination for exactly WHEN you do need zinc?

2)My pressure sore has a wound vac, is healing well with it, but doesn't have much drainage....HOWEVER I also have a 2nd degree burn(had two, one is 99% healed now) elsewhere that I've been healing that does drain quite a bit...would I be losing zinc through this healing/drainage? Should I be taking zinc considering the combination of the pressure sore and burns?

I am eating better, but my appetite sucks, so I'm using a protein supplement. I'm staying off my pressure sore, and doing everything my dr has told me to for my burns. I'm just wanting to know if I should be taking zinc...something that my wound care dr has failed to say word one about...and I didn't think to ask my podiatrist(whom is caring for the burns) about yesterday...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

How'd you burn yourself, Chelle? (If you don't mind my asking.)

'Chelle I take multi-vitamin with zinc in it.My dr. never really told me i need zinc.You have burns which may need it to help produce new tissue.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Many multivitamins with minerals have small amounts of zinc. For those with DRAINING wounds (not dry or closed wounds), including those being treated with a VAC, zinc supplement (zinc sulfate 220 mg. usually) is recommended. Once the wound stops draining, stop this higher dose zinc. There is no value in using it preventatively, and taking this high dose without drainage can result in zinc toxicity.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD, I didn't want to start taking it if it wasn't indicated in my particular situation. Seeing as my burn is draining quite a lot(dr said it's all good drainage, no infection) I figured it best to ask here...

Todd-
    A combination of bad spasms, my own negligence and a microwave hot pack like Cali's...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Todd-
    A combination of bad spasms, my own negligence and a microwave hot pack like Cali's...
    Ah! Yeah, that's a bitch. Gotta watch those legs when in the kitchen. Heal quickly!

Many multivitamins with minerals have small amounts of zinc. For those with DRAINING wounds (not dry or closed wounds), including those being treated with a VAC, zinc supplement (zinc sulfate 220 mg. usually) is recommended. Once the wound stops draining, stop this higher dose zinc. There is no value in using it preventatively, and taking this high dose without drainage can result in zinc toxicity.

(KLD)
    IS THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS OF THAT HIGH DOSE OF ZINC KLD.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Not if you are loosing a lot of zinc through wound drainage, but yes, you can get quite ill from zinc toxicity taking that much without a draining wound.

(KLD)

zinc supplement (zinc sulfate 220 mg. usually) is recommended.(KLD)
    The zinc supplement I was able to find is Zinc Gluconate and only 50mg... Should I be taking a higher dosage? or is there a higher level of zinc in the zinc gluconate than zinc sulfate? I only took one tonight as I don't want to overdose on zinc...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03