Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family needs help to pay for dog’s spinal injury

Quote Originally Posted by Justadildo
    I need some dental work BOB.
    Hi Justadildo,

Me too. Got an appointment for the 15th. Just can't wait to pay $200 out of pocket to be told that I need another $1,000 to finish off the job. Of course that doesn't include "whitening".... just a cleaning. Whitening is another $400-$500 the last time I inquired. But since my dating desires are practically nil whitening is just a nicety. I have Crest White Strips here that I don't use.... I can't smoke with those damn things in my mouth.

Now I need to conjure up some transportation or I'll be wheeling the 2-3 miles there.... working up a nice aromatic sweat along the broiling hot FL roads. Or I could take the downhill route... straight down the center (5th lane) of a 4 lane highway. The first time I went there that's how I went... what a trip that was! I've since learned the back way... much safer but not near as exciting. It's uncanny what we'll do when we're in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Justadildo
    Maybe we can be someone's dogs long enough to raise the funds??
    I bet it's easier to raise funds for dogs than for a human beings.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Every now and then I see a news story about some kind of tragedy that happens to a family, and at the end of the newscast the announcer will mention that an account has been opened at a bank for anyone that would like to donate funds to help the family in one way or another.

I have no idea what the laws are pertaining to such accounts, but - as long as it's legal - then I see no problem with a family doing this for whatever reason. It's always everyone's choice whether or not to donate after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    Every now and then I see a news story about some kind of tragedy that happens to a family, and at the end of the newscast the announcer will mention that an account has been opened at a bank for anyone that would like to donate funds to help the family in one way or another.

I have no idea what the laws are pertaining to such accounts, but - as long as it's legal - then I see no problem with a family doing this for whatever reason. It's always everyone's choice whether or not to donate after all.
    Precisely, it's called charity.

No one wants to see any animal, especially a beloved pet like Snoopy (most Labs make for great pets.... they're IMO a "breed apart" from most other dogs due to their mellow nature) go without medical care that may help him live a more normal life.

If I had an extra 5K hanging around I'd write the check but I can barely afford to keep a roof over my and my dog's head.

And it kinda makes me a bit angry about the whole MRI procedure. It's not as though there's a queue of animals waiting to be imaged and Snoopy would be taking up a spot in line denying the hospital a "paying" customer. The MRI machine is just setting there dormant most of the time with the operating personnel sitting around shooting the breeze and waiting. They could toss ol' Snoopy in there and it wouldn't cost the animal hospital but a few extra bucks for the electricity and perhaps for some contrast dye or whatever. Especially after it was reported that the vets expressed their sentiments by saying how impressed they were by the Sniders’ love for their dog. And even wrote in their report:

"He is a wonderful dog and is very lucky to have such a loving family who is willing to work so hard for his continued care."

How about a little pro bono work from the vets and the animal hospital for Snoopy. After all, it is a "Teaching Hospital" so it's in effect a symbiotic relationship between the students and their patients or clients. And more than likely the hospital gets some type of government funding. The same government that Staff Sergeant Snider is not only paying his taxes to but is protecting with his military service.

My main contention was that time is/was of great imminence (we're talkin' SCI here) so waiting for a charitable fund to accrue the resources necessary for the procedure to get the "go ahead" is/was a rather fruitless endeavor.

Hopefully now that Snoopy and family have gotten some media exposure the system will loosen up its policy and give the good boy some help. It could be a win/win for all concerned if it's not too late already.

But on the other hand.....

The Sniders were irresponsible by allowing Snoopy to get loose and into traffic and more than likely they broke the leash law as well. The situation could have been much uglier had the driver of the car, while attempting to avoid hitting Snoopy, careened the car into a solid structure causing him or her to become SCI'd. Or worse yet, running into a crowd of children and perhaps severely injuring many of them. I'm not getting on the Snider's case.... most dogs do get loose every once in a while.... mine did just the other day. I was lucky in that my dog Summer came running back only panting heavily, not lying in the road bleeding and perhaps trying to crawl his way back home.

I'm not aware of Staff Sergeant Snider's actual military status but as an E-6 he earns a decent salary when it's combined with all the other allowances he's entitled to. I was trying to make sense of the military pay structure that's posted on the Internet and write about a wild web of woven wherefores and whatnots.... I became weary. But they get extra pay for each dependent, a housing allowance, a clothing allowance, a reenlistment bonus, a pay increase for every year served, monthly incentive pays, free family healthcare that includes dental and eye care. And if applicable, a family separation alllowance and of course combat pay. They may even throw in a free Hummer for all I know. In all fairness though, I'd like to see President Bush's tax break for the wealthiest upper 5 percentile go directly to those fighting to protect those who own (didn't write earn) all that wealth. It's the accessibility to power (campaign contributions etc.) by the wealthiest in this country who in effect write the tax code for themselves.

I'm sure there are military and/or ex-military men and women in here (QuadVet?) who can better explain this bureaucratic jungle but I imagine that the Sniders are just like most Americans, a few paychecks away from total destitution. Why do we all insist on living so financially close to the edge?

I hope we'll soon be reading another article by staff writer Nancy McCleary of the Fayetteville Observer reporting that Good Boy Snoopy is getting the treatment he needs and that his prognosis is a favorable one.

Now let's get on with stem cell research and cure Zachery of that damn Duchenne muscular dystrophy, his spider-like brain cyst and his heart problems.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria