Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: driving advice/turn signal advice

you guys are right, I'm actually C8 - so practically a para lol. I probably dont need anytrhing else. I'm just sooooooooooooo scared to drive, esp. when I will be carying very precious cargo (our daughter) most of the time.

I flip the turn signl similar to Scorpion. To flip it right I just lift my wrist up, to flip it to the left I let go of the tri-pin and flip it down. It bothered me to let go at first but youget more comfortable with time. You will also learn to time things out a little to make the letting go of the knob litle easier.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

i wouldnt get a steering knob either emi. im a quad and dont use one.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    this is to address the fear part. I was always a very good driver pre sci. I started with tractors in the fields when I couldn't reach the brakes or clutch from the seat at about 5. Anyway, when I put my handcontrols in my car, I was paranoid as heck. I only drove down the street and back once, about 3 minutes, to check their function. I was w/o a license at the time and hadn't driven for 7 years.
    All the possibilities of wrecks ran thru my mind thick and fast. When the time arrived for my driving test, I was still scared. Used my head and passed it though. I drove slowly and deliberately. When I got the license in my hand, that thought of failure evaporated.
    Within that first tank of gas, my confidence was back. It will help you to remember, you are NOT the first. If others can do it, you can too.
    Driving was singularly, the MOST liberating thing I have done post sci.
    Freedom to come and go at your own discretion. Now you can take the little one to the park and enjoy it.

I use an elbow touch pad on the left which works great. As already mentioned your evaluator should have considered it. However, I also have a crossbar that I purchased and had installed. It clamps on to the directional signal lever on the left and stretches across to the right so all I would have to do is lift my hand off the steering momentarily and push on it up or down. I like this in addition to the elbow push because after awhile the signal turns off with the elbow touch and at a light I do use it quite a bit. As for the tripin spinner knob not sure if something better would suit you. I am a c 5/6 inc. with fortunately a pretty good grasp on my right hand. Until recently I was using a regular spinner knob but then I started having problems with my grasp. I tried a tripin, not sure if it was the same as yours, but I hated it. I was used to being able to momentarily take my hand off the wheel and change position of my arm and small things like pushing up my glasses or push back hair. My hand and arm would get extremely tired in one place with the quad tripin, and with those you really can't take your hand off of it. I use a straight pin now and I can now reposition my arm and hand again anywhere on the wheel. Since my hand is pretty much back to normal I still won't go back to a regular spinner knob and I love my new straight pin, I feel that it is much safer and wouldn't go back to the original knob I had. Since you're a c-8 you should really consider a straight pin. I'm sure you will be much more comfortable. Also ask your evaluator about the directional crossbar. Good luck and once you start driving again you will wonder what took you so long.
    Last edited by cara_m; 05-04-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    i wouldnt get a steering knob either emi. im a quad and dont use one.
    Already have it, but will probably ditch it after I'm more confident. Although it's listed as a requirement on my liscence.

emi, the knob really does make turns and parking easier, you'll find in time that you may not use it to "drive" but you do use it to steer for times when you would otherwise naturally have used two hands...don't discount having it at your convenience...AND remember Fuente's minimalistic advice is coming from the king of no adaptations...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

My vehicles have cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. I set the cruise control before going for the turn signal when switching lanes so that I don't decelerate when trying to merge, and can even accelerate as fast as that "accel/resume" button will take me

-- JB

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    emi, the knob really does make turns and parking easier, you'll find in time that you may not use it to "drive" but you do use it to steer for times when you would otherwise naturally have used two hands...don't discount having it at your convenience...AND remember Fuente's minimalistic advice is coming from the king of no adaptations...
    less is always better. especially when it comes to driving a car.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

and I do have an advantage living in a tiny town with no lanes or traffic lights! lol

i wish I could get over the fear though. I just can't forget the way it feels to fly off the highway at 100km/hr...