Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: driving advice/turn signal advice

Turn signal problem...and more advice needed

I have come to the realization that I need to suck it up, get over my phobia and get my freaking drivers liscence already (living 30 km from town will do that...). I have a road test booked for June 26 (coincidently the day I got my liscence when I was 16! 9 years ago...). So I started practicing yesterday and everything went very well (except for my pants falling down while transferring and my pounding heart when going over 10 km/hr lol). My main problem is not being able to flick the turn signal on without letting go of the hand control... I'm not sure why the OT who prescribed my van modifications didn't do some kind of mod for that but anyhow. What do you all do?
    i drive a E250 with 6 way power seat, MPD controls and a tripin spinner knob.

I had a similar problem in a borrowed Ford E350 van. My solution was to create a turn signal extension that went from left of the steering wheel (where the turn signal lever comes out of the column) above and to the right of the steering wheel. I created the extension by putting some compound angle bends in a piece of welding rod. Two hose clamps held the flattened end of the extension to the turn signal lever. I could flick the extension up or down without releasing the wheel.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

let go of the hand control at a moment where you can coast for a second or two. you'll be okay.

Emi, I have MPD controls and a tri-pin spinner as well, and I just quickly let go of the hand control and hit the turn signal lever. With a little practice, it's no big deal, and your hand will be off the controls for about the same (or less than) the time it takes an AB to move their foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal. You can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    let go of the hand control at a moment where you can coast for a second or two. you'll be okay.
    What Scott said (and what I said in the other thread).

yup what scott said. i just let go of my hand control,
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Hi Emi,

I believe from previous posts, you are a quad. If that is the case, then your OT and vehicle mod people dropped the ball!

You should have an "Elbow switch" mounted on the driver side door where your elbow rests/hits when your hand is in the gas/break accuator. This switch alllows you to control, not only turn signals, but your high beams, horn, wipers, window spray, etc. - whatever you want really.

The beauty of it is you don't have to take your hand out of the control to signal ect. It's not that expensive (in the scheme of things) to add in.

Use of it is second nature for me. I don't even have to think.

Works on a musical scale (doe, ray, me, fa, so, la, tee, doe) Hit once = left sig. Hit and hold 1 sec = right sig. 3 seconds = horn, etc.

See EGB.

Get in there girl! Driving has made the biggest difference in my post SCI life. You will love it!

letting go and coasting isn't a bad idea, as when you are turning you are generally slowing down anyhow. Should work until I pass my road test then I can fight with my insurance to get an elbow switch.
    Last time my dad and I just practiced in an empty parking lot but tommorow we are trying on a back road, gonna have to get over the fear of going over 10 km though!

Just use your head and let go when there's nothing in front of you that would necessitate quick braking. If you have to start signalling further in advance to feel safe doing so, then do it. It's really simple and won't require any thought once you get the hang of it.

I'd advise against secondary controls if you can avoid them (which @ your level you should be able to - C6, right?). They aren't cheap & it's just one more thing that can give you problems if they crap out on you and you're dependent on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Just use your head and let go when there's nothing in front of you that would necessitate quick braking. If you have to start signalling further in advance to feel safe doing so, then do it. It's really simple and won't require any thought once you get the hang of it.

I'd advise against secondary controls if you can avoid them (which @ your level you should be able to - C6, right?). They aren't cheap & it's just one more thing that can give you problems if they crap out on you and you're dependent on them.
    agree 100 percent. u dont need anything else emi
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer