Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinky velcro

Stinky velcro

I am at my wit's end trying to get the stink that is stuck out of the velcro that is on the shower chair and on his shower sling. The shower chair has two long pieces of fabric that velcro together for a seatbelt. I can take them entirely off, and I have a) washed them in hot in the washing machine 3 times b) soaked them in weak bleach, 3) laid them in the sun all day yesterday. The sling is ditto, the velcro wraps around his chest. I used cold water and a gentle cycle in the washing machine for that because its an expensive sling!!

They both still have an icky musty smell. It makes our bedroom smell like a high school lockerroom.

Any ideas? I can't buy new ones, they are both way too expensive.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

We have had that problem with some towels and with some shirts. The common thread between them has been allowing them to sit after they have gotten sweaty. We have monster washed them to no avail. Something grows that is inseparable from the fibers. The only thing I can think of would be to burn some incense and see if you can smoke the smell out...

Good long wash with just H2O and vinegar. Vinegar is used to remove dog pee from carpet or they keep going back so it must work on other smells.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Vinegar works on stinky stuff. Also extra liquid fabric softener sometimes helps.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Blog Entries
    If all else fails, make another seatbelt, get the velcro to sew on at Wal Mart or online I think I have tossed all my wc seatbelts, I'll keep an eye out for them

Can you wash them in the dishwasher? Sometimes that works better than the washing machine-- especially if you have a sanatizer cycle on the DW.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Dishwasher, that was gonna be my suggestion. Jenjen stole my thought.

YAY!

Vinegar worked, running through dishwasher now just to remove the last 10% of the smell. You guys rock. THank you thank you thank you. Our bedroom now smells properly just of dirty laundry.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Great idea! But I can't resist .....

LOL ami ... I will frequently find one of my own posts, and not remember writing it!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Meant to mention that you can put vinegar in the dishwasher for stuff like this.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.