Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No choice but a nursing home

Acarson ... I'm so distressed about your situation! I read in another thread in the Life forum where you posted you had to beg for a glass of water .... holy cats we just gotta get this situation resolved quickly it seems to me or you're poor old bod is going to rebel if it hasn't started to already ... who is doing your care as of this moment????

I would even consider calling an ambulance and going to an ER for the time being ........ are you afraid?? ... you mentioned somewhere you just tried a case so you must be working .. is this right and if so do you not have insurance with your job .... how do you get to work ..... could you fill in the blanks a little so we have a better understanding of all this !! Please take care .....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I purposely put all our assets/property in my wife's name since we got married. I also made sure all the debt was in my name alone.

I want to make sure that everyone understands that my wife has been my sole caregiver since December 2005. She is not built to be a full-time
    nurse. Some of the people here are. If you Google caregiver burn out, you will see why she is the way she is.

It is my decision to go to a nursing home. Based on some of these posts, I think I can work my way back to a home. You all have given me the courage to take on what ever comes my way. Heck, it may even be fun. André

Blog Entries
    Hey Andre, you are right and some of us know it. It has been a tough row to hoe. Things still aren't over. That is also why there is a caregiver thread here. It is a KNOWN fact that being the sole caregiver is NOT the ideal situation.
    I know you can work your way back out into your own home. It will take a little while. Don't try to make it look TOO FUN, we don't want a big inrush of folks there
    John

I hope you'll post when people are talking themselves into believing that having their partner be their caregiver is a good idea, and cost efficient. It is too demanding, and the partner's health suffers.

I worry when you say all assets are in her name, though. I guess maybe it's a good idea but you sure are at the mercy of her decisions this way.

Are you working currently?

Best wishes to the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by Acarson
    I purposely put all our assets/property in my wife's name since we got married. I also made sure all the debt was in my name alone.

I want to make sure that everyone understands that my wife has been my sole caregiver since December 2005. She is not built to be a full-time
    nurse. Some of the people here are. If you Google caregiver burn out, you will see why she is the way she is.

It is my decision to go to a nursing home. Based on some of these posts, I think I can work my way back to a home. You all have given me the courage to take on what ever comes my way. Heck, it may even be fun. André
    I've had tough love dished out to me here on more than one occasion so I'll pass a little of it back.

Caregiver burnout is real. It is HARD. I have been burned out, badly, at various points. But no matter what, there is absolutely no, and I mean zero zilch nada, excuse for how she is treating you. Caregiver burden is a pathetic excuse for her behavior. Hitting you, screaming at you, refusing to give you food and water? That is NOT caregiver burnout, that is abuse, plain and simple. I have no sympathy for that, and do not fool yourself into thinking she is acting this way "for cause". Her behaviour is deplorable and inexcusable.

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but it really makes me very angry. It trivializes what those of us who do what she does every day by implying that if we don't abuse our loved ones, we must not be burned out.

Our house is a safe place. And I would at least feed you!!!! Even if we can't have you stay here to live of course, you are welcome here anytime. It's accessible of course, and I know how to cath, etc.

ETA: I assure you that none of us here are built to be full time caregivers. We just do the right thing even though its hard. That is just another excuse you are making for her, or that she is making for herself. None of us chose this so she doesn't get an out by saying that.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Why should one's spouse's assets be protected in this way? Why aren't the wife's assets being used to hire attendants and otherwise case for her husband? Is there a divorce in progress? If so, then I would think alimony for the husband would be in order and the new situation may allow him to get assistance from the state while he is working towards getting back to his day job. He is getting back to work at some point, isn't he? If he's not planning on getting a divorce, why isn't his wife spending her/his/their money on caring for her spouse? I don't fault any spouse for not wanting or not being able to be a fulltime caregiver (I want to be a wife, not a nurse and want my husband to look at me as his friend and lover, not as a patient.), but if the wife isn't going to care for her husband, she damn well needs to find someone to. If she would rather send him into a nursing home than hire home care, why stay married to her?
    So many questions for a old lady was 'zits' (lesions) on her brain! (Oh well,at least I can hide my own Easter eggs! Get it? That was my attempt at a joke! lol)

In my case, I need to protect our assets from the state because my husband is also disabled. Although our assets are small, I don't want the state to put a lien on our house at the time of my death in order to recoup medical funds it has spent on me. He will need those funds to continue his life. So you see, each situation is different.

And by the way, I agree with everything you said above. ( I was not aware of all on his specifics related to Carson's case.) You have made some very valid points.

I'll bet Carson is majorly overwhelmed right now. Maybe he plans on going to a nursing home temporarily for safety reasons just until he can work out all these details. At least he will be safe there for the time being.

CARSON!!! If I were you, I would consider printing out this entire thread and take it with you to the NH. Pay particular attention to what KLD said, especially this sentence:

Use your time there to make specific plans to get OUT. Go back to work, hire PCAs, and try to repair your marriage.

And get Zillangel's phone number before you go. She seems to be an angel waiting to help you.

Good luck to you!

P. S.
    My Dragon Dictate obviously needs more coffee! Look at the stupid stuff it typed below while I was dictating the above!

costly late drag and the coffee am not awareof all of his went to SusanI was not aware said about said a bow have said ended by the way In a buzz away

So So so use siege situation is different use theuse situation is different you needs those phonesto continue on hence long The news to those firmsto continue was his life

money is spent on me else at the time of my death art-house ead loan art-house green loan art-house leading loan or mouse powerhouse art-house art-house Ha ha burning hot hot

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    ...when people are talking themselves into believing that having their partner be their caregiver is a good idea, and cost efficient. It is too demanding, and the partner's health suffers.
    You can say that again. I'm pretty near my wife's sole caregiver. My health is suffering. Lemme tell you, doing the BP every evening plays hell with the sex life. We're getting some occasional help, and hoping to expand it somewhat, but it is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    ...no matter what, there is absolutely no, and I mean zero zilch nada, excuse for how she is treating you. Caregiver burden is a pathetic excuse for her behavior...
    We just do the right thing even though its hard. That is just another excuse you are making for her, or that she is making for herself. None of us chose this so she doesn't get an out by saying that.
    Absodamnlutely. There's not a one of us who would choose this way of life freely. We were driven to it, by circumstance, sense of duty, and/or love.

- Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Acarson

Check this site out from top to bottom. Scan it for all information possible. Follow all leads, call every number, click every link. http://www.fullcirclecare.org/caregi...me.htm#general
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Check this site out from top to bottom. Scan it for all information possible. Follow all leads, call every number, click every link. http://www.fullcirclecare.org/caregi...me.htm#general
    OMG, THANK YOU ......... I am going to scan this top to bottom and call every phone number, etc .... wow. How have I never found this before? I think it's because the orientation is towards seniors that its hard to find if you have the mindset of disability in a younger person.

So this will help more than one of us here.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Man, acarson, I think your coping out. Post some flyers.

thats not burn out, sounds like abuse to me.

but whatever, goodluck.