Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty-five years and counting...

Twenty-five years and counting...

As of 1 May 2007, at around midday, I will have been a C5 complete quad for the past 25 years. I'm not entirely sure why, but for the past month I keep thinking about this upcoming anniversary. I guess, as a 7-year-old, I had no idea how much my life would change. It's one of those days that left its fingerprints over every fibre of my being.

To echo Kiran's sentiments expressed recently, which resonated with me more than I care to admit, I think about it more now than I have in the past. It's only now, as a man, that I can look back at my childhood and comprehend the loss. The devastation. The unmitigated horror of it all.

25 years later, when the open wound has long since healed, I still choke up when I think about that 7-year-old boy. I awe in his grace - somehow, he gets through it all with a smile and a determination that I sometimes forget at the ripe old age of 32.

I have an amazing family - without a doubt, they are the secret to my success.

My father never doubted my ability to succeed academically, despite all the hurdles. He cut me no slack. He was the first to censure me for failing to live up to my academic potential. In short - he sold me on the dream of one day becoming a lawyer, despite the odds.

My mother has been amazing. Simply amazing. I could try and explain everything that's amazing about her, but there's no easy way of capturing her brilliance in one paragraph. It may sound weird, but it often feels like God sent me the most amazing mother ever to save me from the abyss that is SCI.

My sister is among my closest friends. In a way, she was my partner through it all. The greatest gift she has ever given me is allowing me to be such a large part of her extended family. My niece and nephew are a large, very happy, part of my life. If I never get to experience fatherhood, I'm grateful that I've tasted some of the joys.

Finally, I have a handful of friends - both real and virtual - who's companionship and love have made this journey incredible.

I've always been an optimistic person, I still am. Every morning, when I leave the house for work, I can't help but wonder at the beauty of the world in which we live. I feel privileged to have this life, despite its shortcomings. Sometimes it feels like the universe is almost conspiring for my success.

Despite all of this, however, the older I get the more acutely aware I am of what I am missing. I mourn the loss of much of my childhood, yet feel relief I never had a chance to savour the complete joys of adulthood - I take solace from my ignorance.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Man you are doing good! You and I are the same level of injury and I'm going on 13 years now. I really wish there wasn't so many miles between us as I'd like to meet you someday.

Being robbed of a "normal" childhood really sucks. All I can say is you've done a great job doing whatever you had to do to survive including financial survival as an adult. You can never look back at missed opportunities or what-ifs. I live every day reminding myself of that.

Of everyone I have ever known with SCI, I can honestly say you have handled your injury better than anyone. Maybe it's the fact that you've had to deal with it so long, but if everyone would have just a bit of the optimism you have, the world would really be a happier place. Stay strong my man.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by CurlieQCarrie
    Of everyone I have ever known with SCI, I can honestly say you have handled your injury better than anyone. Maybe it's the fact that you've had to deal with it so long, but if everyone would have just a bit of the optimism you have, the world would really be a happier place. Stay strong my man.
    Agreed, I think his academic achievements are so laudable as well. He is an inspiration to me. Love you, Chris!

Oh big guy, come here so I can give you a kiss to celebrate your anniversary.

You are doing fine Chris, wish you good tings.

25 years of sci can be a good teacher too. there is some good that can be found along this road.

You've accomplished so much since I first "met" you. Keep on kickin' butt! Lots of things aren't fair but you've made the most of them, seems like.

I echo everyone's sentiments Chris. FWIW, I can see you with a family of your own one day.

Here is a big hug for you Chris anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love