Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Hey Sue,

being the girl in the know. Can you post the email addies of the health aides of the top people/legislators?

please post in imhopeful's thread......it's getting steamy there.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Bioterrorism Research

Thanks for the NIH Funding information re: SCI as it compares to other diseases. Does anyone know of a source of information for the amount of money spent on Bioterrorism Research?

P.J. - Look on the NIH estimates sheet under Biodefense.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    Here you go, Chaz:

"In 1997, NIH funded approximately $64 million of SCI research. This increased to about $89 million in 2003. However, by 2006, funding for SCI research decreased to $66 million, and is estimated to decrease further to $64million for the fiscal year 2008."

source...http://www.nih.gov/news/fundingresea...as.htm#content
    bea-u-tiful. Thanks Susan.

...opps repost
    Last edited by Chaz19; 09-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.

do you have been to have more up to date facts on the cost of SCI per year? I found this but it isn't to current.

" * SCI costs the nation more than $9.73 billion per year.
    * Each newly injured person with SCI incurs total first year costs that average $2.367 billion.
    * Annual SCI-related medical care costs average $1.624 billion per year.
    * Medications and supplies cost $449 million annually for those beyond their first year post-injury.
    * The average cost of personal assistance is estimated to be $2.068 billion for those who are beyond the first year post-injury. "
    http://www.demosmedpub.com/prod.aspx...=9781888799170

CDRPA Passes House Committee

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (CDRPA) passed unanimously in the US House Energy & Commerce Committee moments ago. The only debate was if the $$'s currently attached to the bill ($25 million) was enough. This will be addressed at a later date.

Now--onto the full House and Senate for consideration. Note: the Senate version (identical to House version) passed out of committee in late July. The bill will now be placed in the queue for scheduling.

CDRPA Scheduled for House Vote on 10/15/08

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (CDRPA) is on the schedule for the consideration of passage in the US House of Representatives on Monday, October 15, 2008, between 2:00 pm and 6:30 pm EST. It's looking good!!

They're debating now!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

PASSED THE HOUSE!!!!!
    Every day I wake up is a good one