Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

I would like to help here in Florida but have no clue where to start. If someone would help me with whom I should call or write letters to here in Florida I will. Are ppl calling and asking if their senators are going to be sponsoring this bill or writing letters? I need everyone one that I should call or write to. and I can start. Is there a sample letter I could start with? What questions do I ask, thank you.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Quote Originally Posted by waters3
    I would like to help here in Florida but have no clue where to start. If someone would help me with whom I should call or write letters to here in Florida I will. Are ppl calling and asking if their senators are going to be sponsoring this bill or writing letters? I need everyone one that I should call or write to. and I can start. Is there a sample letter I could start with? What questions do I ask, thank you.
    Hi Cindy,

I would be happy to assist you. Please contact me at susan@unite2fightparalysis.org .

Thanks,
    Susan

CDRPA Heads to Full Senate Vote

The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (CDRPA) passed the Senate Helath, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) committee yesterday, Wednesday, July 25th. The bill will now move to the full Senate for consideration. This is a tremendous milestone. A huge thank you to all of you whom have worked so tirelessly on advancing this legislation.

"HARKIN CALLS ON CONGRESS TO PASS THE CHRISTOPHER REEVE PARALYSIS ACT
    Legislation passes committee, will be considered by full Senate this fall
    WEDNESDAY, JULY 25, 2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) today applauded the passage of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (CDRPA) out of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee. Harkin introduced this bill to advance collaborative research in paralysis and improve quality of life for people living with paralysis and mobility impairments from any cause including stroke, ALS, spinal cord injuries, and others."

"There is no time to waste. Young soldiers are returning from Iraq with spinal cord injuries, facing a lifetime of disability," said Harkin. "Some two million Americans are living with paralysis of the arms or legs. Hundreds of thousands are living with multiple sclerosis. They cannot wait. I can think of no better way to honor Chris and Dana's memory than for Congress to pass this legislation."

http://harkin.senate.gov/news.cfm?id=279807

3 reps in august

we can do better

Rep Napolitano, Grace F. [CA-38] - 8/1/2007
    Rep Altmire, Jason [PA-4] - 8/1/2007
    Rep Kildee, Dale E. [MI-5] - 8/1/2007
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    3 reps in august

we can do better

Rep Napolitano, Grace F. [CA-38] - 8/1/2007
    Rep Altmire, Jason [PA-4] - 8/1/2007
    Rep Kildee, Dale E. [MI-5] - 8/1/2007

Hey, Leo--there could be more. The list can't be updated while congress is not in session. Hopefully, there will be a bunch in September.

Any idea about when Congress will take this up after their month long vacation? Hopefully they can vote on this before Petrasus's report.

I feel like an ambulance chaser here, however this guy opposed ESC and unless I missed it wasn't a co-sponsor of CDRPA.

Any chance his replacement might?

September 5, 2007, 12:59 pm
    Ohio Congressman Dies

By Kate Phillips

Updated

Representative Paul Gillmor, Republican from Ohio’s 5th Congressional District in the Bowling Green area, was found dead in his apartment this morning.

Mr. Gillmor, 68, was found after he failed to come to work, according to Associated Press:

Mr. Gillmor, who served as a judge advocate in the Air Force after graduating law school, won a seat in the Ohio state senate in 1966, and served there for 22 years, rising to the senate presidency. After an unsuccessful run for governor in 1986, Gillmor was elected to the U.S. House in 1988 after eking out a 27-vote victory in the primary.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...gressman-dies/
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Leo, I had the same thought when I heard of his passing. We will have to see who replaces him. Right now there is no voting representation from this district. So this district is not voting for or against anything in Congress.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

does anyone have an estimate on the $ amount, our government decreased SCI research between the years of 2006 and 2007? thanks in advance
    Chaz

Here you go, Chaz:

"In 1997, NIH funded approximately $64 million of SCI research. This increased to about $89 million in 2003. However, by 2006, funding for SCI research decreased to $66 million, and is estimated to decrease further to $64million for the fiscal year 2008."

source...http://www.nih.gov/news/fundingresea...as.htm#content