Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

There are meetings going on to obtain funding.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    There are meetings going on to obtain funding.
    Thanks Cheesecake,

please tell us more,

who's having meetings

what's the process......yada yada
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Bump. What is shakin out? Can our community help? I guess it's particularly hard for me not knowing what's going on because many friends and family helped contribute to travel, lodging expenses for trips down to DC. It's difficult not being able to give any definitive answer or having any clue what's going on?

I'm trying to get some answers and will post as soon as I know something. We've all put a considerable amount of time and effort into getting this bill passed and will continue to do so until it's funded. We're not finished with this bill yet.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Steven could you provide an update? TIA.

Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Titles I&II of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act bill have not been funded. It's apparently up to Senator Harkin, the head of the Senate Appropriations Committee, to do so so I'd suggest we send him a short message via his website here thanking him for supporting the bill thus far and reminding him that there's still work to be done.

This is what I posted in my last message to him:

Thank you for your continued support for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act Bill which was included as Title XIV in the The Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 and signed into
    law on 3/30/09. Please do all you can to ensure that titles I & II of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act Bill are funded.

This form letter can be personalized and used as well.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    Steven could you provide an update? TIA.
    I haven't kept updated, embarrassingly. I do know that, as of now, the majority of it is unfunded. Nothing has changed on that front.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Anything new to report?

Has anything changed? Does anyone know if the Reeve foundation is lobbying for funds?

Chaz, we get an occasional blip from the Reeve Foundation; nothing really signifcant. I've corresponded with them at times asking for timing of trials and discoveries of their research. The answeres I get are nebulus at best. I see it as a collection of people who have jobs. I don't see the passion we are looking for for a cure. Just my thoughts, but that's how I see it.

Keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Has anything changed? Does anyone know if the Reeve foundation is lobbying for funds?
    The Paralysis Resource Center received an additional $2M last year as a result of the CDRPA being signed into law. This brought the center's 2010 budget to $7,748,000.

Paralysis Resource Center (+$2.0 million) The FY 2010 request includes $7,748,000 for Paralysis Resource Center (Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation) an increase of $2,021,000 over the FY 2009 Omnibus. The funding increase will be used to expand and implement activities related to the recently enacted Christopher and Dana Reeves Paralysis Act, such as the expansion of the disability and health state program activities to address the needs of people with paralysis and other physical disabilities.

http://www.cdccoalition.org/pdf/FY2010_CDC_CJ_Final.pdf
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr