Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Will do, Norm! He told me it would be the next few days. Pray for slow news days!

I wonder if the moderaters should create a new thread on this topic & pin it. There are so many threads on this its hard to track.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Wouldn't do any good imo. Every week, somebody wanders in and starts a new one. This week I think they started 5!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Sen. Reid lumped the CDRPA w/ the others in hopes of overriding Coburn's hold.

The bill is on its own again now, but Coburn is still holding it. The only way around the hold is for Reid (Senate Majority Leader) to offer it for another cloture, for that to pass w/ a 60% majority, and then the Senate to vote on the bill.

Coburn is the Senator from Oklahoma. CLC (fellow Oklahoman, quad) and I have been interviewed this week by a DC-based reporter for the Tulsa World on our unhappiness w/ Coburn. This will be my 2nd article on the subject, the last was front page. This one will be more scathing. I was still trying not to alienate the Senator last time. CLC and I have been to DC to see Coburn, he twice, me 3 times.

We've gotta turn Coburn, or one of you has to make your Republican Senator believe in the need to. Pressure from Repub Senators is the only thing that can do it. For the love of God, everybody in this country should be flooding his office w/ calls and letters demanding he let democracy operate.

Last session, we pushed this bill all the way. Coburn held it the last half hour of the last night of the session. Consensus is, that if it could come to a vote, it would pass.

So no, it's not just sitting there. It's sitting there, blocked by a sphincter.

ETA: I thought of 1 more suggestion. Any press you can get, anywhere, on the CDRPA and Coburn's hold, could only be good. Letters to the editor of local papers, national papers, Newsweek, whatever. I didn't do the legwork to hook up with this reporter in DC but IM Hopeful did. Maybe she'll chime in, add some info on how she arranged all that. I mainly just answered the phone.

Here's the link to the last article:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic..._A1_spanc44775

ETA again-Wow, I hate the photo they used w/ that article. But at least I looked angry LOL.
    ....and a fine job you did answering the phone!

There have recently been a number of articles in the news that refer to the CDRPA and Advancing America's Priorities Act. Contact the journalists writing these articles and ask them if they would be interested in your personal story and how it relates to the CDRPA/AAPA. They have already done their homework on this legislation and it wouldn't be much of a stretch for them to tell your story. They are looking for stories to write and this would be an easy assignment for them.

Jim Myers, works for the Tulsa World but does so out of the Washington, DC bureau. If you live in a large metro area, there might be someone like Jim, following legislation. If they aren't in DC, but have written about these bills, they still will have an interest in your story.

Our stories are about government, politics and also have a human interest component. Don't sell yourself short, this story has many interesting components. I'd also check with any journalist that has already covered your personal story. They often will have an interest in a follow up story and this legislation would be a part of that story.

We have to remember we have the support to get this bill across the finish line, IF Sen. Coburn will release his hold. We can't let one person stand in the way of the thousands who have worked so hard to see this bill passed. We have to send a message that his use of a hold is misguided.

I can't wait to read your follow up story Betheny!
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Sunday, August 03, 2008 Tulsa World

"Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

great job beth and carl
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I'm glad that you guys are fighting. thanks for your hard work Beth and Carl.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but did the Christopher Reeve foundation put out an update about the status of this act? I think I Must be off their mailing list.

"Any press you can get, anywhere, on the CDRPA and Coburn's hold, could only be good. Letters to the editor of local papers, national papers, Newsweek, whatever. I didn't do the legwork to hook up with this reporter in DC but IM Hopeful did. Maybe she'll chime in, add some info on how she arranged all that. I mainly just answered the phone"

I wonder if someone with video editing skills can reuse the Christopher Reeves superbowl commercial to call this idiot out. That commercial got everyone talking once. I am sure permission from somebody would be needed, but if they can make Elvis sing with Celine Dion surely they could do something useful like helping pass the CDRPA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFYSUPlZmcg
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Chaz, I was wondering the same thing, anyone get an alert

got some local ink last week, this weekend hometown has big event, really hoping sen. thune shows

Compassionate Conservatives?

By Leo Hallan, Yankton
    Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:57 PM CDT
    “Compassionate Conservative.” A good phrase I don’t think I heard it until GWB’s run for president. I thought ‘Yeah, that pretty well describes me’ and had hoped to see it happen.

Man, have I been disappointed. No conservative in a national political office should use this term again because they’d be lying.

On Monday, July 28, the Senate voted to not bring up a vote on a package of 34 of the 90 bills being held up by Sen. Coburn from Oklahoma. Yes, a vote to stop a vote. One senator said these bills could wait. He obviously has not spent a day in a wheelchair or has a loved one dying from ALS or cancer. To us, time is our enemy and has a whole different meaning.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2008...f745486602.txt
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Is this it?

Does the letter writing stop now? I occasionally see requests for examples, here is mine.
    I sent 100 letters, each did include a copy of Mr. Coburn’s letter, and yes I did ask them to forward the copy to him. Seems a little gimmicky, I know. I thought just maybe with a 100 copies floating around somebody of importance would get it.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either