Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    I vote call in day, can Boston Dad get one going? As before, I will offer to go to DC again before April to see what can be done. Anyone interested in a pre-Rally push with a call in day on the same day?
    Cheesecake, I may be able to attend a pre-rally push. Afternoon is better.

Count me in. Give me the time, date and number and I will gladly call.

I unfortunately can't make the rally this year. April is a bad time for us-we store boats and hopefully we should be warmer by then.

Arrow National Call In Day Guide For April 15TH

TUESDAY, APRIL 15TH

NATIONAL CALL IN DAY LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD!

CALLERS GUIDE - This guide is for your convenience. Please feel free to use
    your own words and if comfortable tell your story. Your grassroots activists will be visiting the capitol this day and really need your support. When you call ask for the aide that handles the HELP issues for the senator. Even if you
    get their voicemail, leave a long message. Please remember to be courteous and respectful of all members of the US Senate even if they have a different view than yours. Thank you.

STEP ONE - FIND YOUR SENATORS www.visi.com/juan/congress/

STEP TWO - IS YOUR SENATOR A CURRENT COSPONSOR? See list below

COSPONSORS OF S. 1183
    CA – Barbara Boxer - Dianne Feinstein
    CT – Chris Dodd
    HI – Daniel Inouye
    IL – Dick Durbin - Barack Obama
    IA – Tom Harkin
    MI – Carl Levin
    MN – Norm Coleman – Amy Klobuchar
    MD – Barbara Mikulski – Benjamin Cardin
    MS – Thad Cochran
    NJ – Frank Lautenberg - Robert Menendez MA – John Kerry - Edward Kennedy

NM – Jeff Bingaman
    NY – Hillary Clinton - Charles Shumer
    NC – Richard Burr
    OH – Sherrod Brown - George Voinovich
    OR – Gordon Smith
    PA – Robert Casey - Arlen Specter
    RI – Jack Reed - Sheldon Whitehouse
    SC – Lindsey Graham
    SD – Tim Johnson
    VT – Bernard Sanders - Patrick Leahy
    WA – Patty Murray

STEP THREE - CHOOSE A MESSAGE

MESSAGE FOR SENATORS WHO ARE NOT YET COSPONSORS

Hello, my name is________________ and I live in (town, state) and I am a constituent of Senator_____________. Today, for the fourth year in a row members of the paralyzed community are traveling to our nations' Capitol to advocate for the passage of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. Though I can not be there in body, I am in spirit and ask the Senator to co-sponsor this bill S. 1183. I also encourage the senator to call Senator Coburn to ask that he release this bill so it can have a full vote before the Senate.

MESSAGE FOR SENATORS WHO ARE COSPONSORS

Hello, my name is________________ and I live in (town, state) and I am a constituent of Senator_____________. Today, for the fourth year in a row members of the paralyzed community are traveling to our nations’ Capitol to advocate for the passage of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. Though I can not be there in body, I am in spirit and want to thank Senator________ for co-sponsoring bill S. 1183. I also encourage the senator to call Senator Coburn and ask that he release this bill so that it can have a full vote before the Senate.

STEP FOUR - TELL US HOW IT WENT
    THANK YOU ALL!

too late?

is it too late to send letters? when is the congress supposed to decide on it? i know that there is one congressman holding things up...how else can we help? i'm planning a fundraiser for sept & would like to donate the proceeds to the christopher & dana reeve foundation. it's in the beginning stages (i'm an artist and will be exhibiting my work to help raise awareness about sci & research) of planning & would love input on what info i can provide ppl or ask from the ppl that will be attending my shows. i will be seeking publicity for the events as well. i've been fortunate enough to have already been interviewed and do some advocating. if things work well with my shows i'll have to opportunity again & want to make sure i cover everything. any ideas? i've already thought about providing basic literature about sci & ask for donations. i have a website which, i'll include on the cards for my shows as well.

no it's not too late we have until the end of the congressional session, call or write away!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

At the risk of sounding like Forrest Gump, can somebody tell me what the CDRPA act is, in plain English? I've tried searches and all I got was some servere brain hemmorages from the legalese.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Hi Wheelie;

The CDRPA directs the NIH to provide support for collaboration in paralysis research, a clinical trial network in paralysis rehabilitation, and projects to improve the quality of life for people living with paralysis.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

John
    Thanks, that does explain things. I was able to find the part of "improving the quality of life for those living with paralysis", but couldn't find anything on "how" this was going to be accomplished.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike
    John
    Thanks, that does explain things. I was able to find the part of "improving the quality of life for those living with paralysis", but couldn't find anything on "how" this was going to be accomplished.
    Hi, Mike ~ one example would be helping to fund the little exercise facilities for people with sci that are popping up all over the USA. They're somewhere in between a regular gym and a rehab facility, with specialized equipment and specially trained staff -- not usually covered by insurance but very necessary to a good quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by tskushi26
    is it too late to send letters? when is the congress supposed to decide on it? i know that there is one congressman holding things up...how else can we help?
    Well, since you live in New Jersey, both of your senators have already signed on as co-sponsors of the bill. We need at least 60 co-sponsors and would like to have 80; if we get that many the senator who is holding things up can PROBABLY be persuaded to let the bill get to the floor.

The congress has already passed the bill by a unanimous vote, which is why we're focused on the senate. Here is something you can do as a citizen of New Jersey:

Call Senator Lautenberg's office (202 224-3224) and tell the person who answers that you want to leave a message for the senator's aide who specializes in health care. The message is:

Thanks so much to the Senator for co-sponsoring the bill S-1183. Unfortunately, the bill still needs more co-sponsors. Can the aide please recommend to his/her peers that this bill is important?

Ask for contact information for the aide and explain that you are a person living in a chair and that this is very important to you. Believe me, they will be nice and they will definitely pass your message along. After a day or two, call back and ask for the aide. Ask if the aide has had a chance to speak to anyone about this bill . . . here are a few of senators who have not yet signed on as co-sponsors: James Webb (VA) Robert Byrd (W.VA) and Jay Rockefeller (W.VA).

Do the whole thing again with your other senator: Robert Menendez (202 224-4744)

This sounds like a lot, but it's 2 three-minute phone calls. Please do it! We really have a shot at getting those 60 co-sponsors, and most of the time the reason they haven't signed on is that THEY'VE NEVER BEEN ASKED. Ask.