Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Democratic lawmakers did their best to try to pass what seemed to be non-controversial bills -- including the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act and a bill addressing traumatic brain injuries in veterans.
    Am I the only one who chuckled at that phrasing?

Quadvet, Coburn says he doesn't want Congress dictating to NIH, and he seems to think we've been given enough research funds.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 12-21-2007 at 06:45 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Arrow National Call In Days (s)??????

Hi all,

First, let me say that your letters to the Senator have been terrific! A first class and intelligent blast.

I have been thinking that we do two call in days. The first right after the New Year with calls to his home state office.

Oklahoma City
    100 North Broadway
    Suite 1820
    Oklahoma City, OK 73102
    Main: 405-231-4941
    Fax: 405-231-5051

We need to bring this issue to a local level for him and to his staff. I have found in the past that there is a whole different mind set at the local offices (local hires as opposed to college interns etc in DC) They tend to be more grounded. We call for the release of the hold and maybe we also call to request that the good Senator meet with some of his constituents from the paralyzed community to discuss the bill. (No pressure B)
    I am sure that if we all did some research we could come up with a group of people from Oklahoma. If he says no, or puts off a meeting,
    that would be very embarrassing for him with his staff and the local press.

The second call in day happens when they return to DC, sometime in late February. Maybe this one we can tie in with the Presidential race as there maybe two leading candidates who we can tie down at that point. We can also coordinate this with a YouTube piece or pieces. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfandc
    The Senate is finished with legislative business for the year, but that is not the end of the process for CDRPA. The list of dates Senator Reid read are for "pro forma" sessions in which the Senate convenes as a formality (to avoid "recess appointments") but does not conduct any actual legislative business. The Senate will return for legislative business on January 22nd. CDRPA will remain alive and on the legislative calendar when the Senate returns. Legislation does not die until the end of 2008 when a new Congress is elected. So we have all next year to get CDRPA through the Senate and to the President.
    cubs,

Thanks for the advice and comfort.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bostondad
    Hi all,

The second call in day happens when they return to DC, sometime in late February. Maybe this one we can tie in with the Presidential race as there maybe two leading candidates who we can tie down at that point. We can also coordinate this with a YouTube piece or pieces. Thoughts?
    The Senate returns to session on January 22nd. There usually isn't much pressing legislative business at the beginning of the year before the President sends down his budget and committees report new bills, so that's the best time to push for legislation left over from the previous year.

There are two ways to bring a bill to the floor -- unanimous consent, or cloture. Unanimous consent means exactly what it says; all Senators consent to having the bill brought up for a vote. That is how Coburn can block it with a hold, which is basically an indication that he would object and asking his leadership to do so on his behalf if he is not on the Senate floor. The other process of getting cloture is a much more cumbersome and lengthy process which requires 60 votes to stop debate and proceed to consideration of the bill, and allows for up to 30 hours of debate after cloture is invoked. As Majority Leader Harry Reid can bring up bills and file for cloture, but because of the time involved he can only do that on so many bills.

Best Day?

Cudsfandc,

Thank you for the continued insight to the process. Would you have a suggestion on a day/date that may be the best time to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by bostondad
    Cudsfandc,

Thank you for the continued insight to the process. Would you have a suggestion on a day/date that may be the best time to do this?
    I'd say some time in that last week of January starting with the 22nd would be best -- Senators are back, but things are not super busy yet.

Face to Face on Call-In Day

Would group lobbying be of any use at this time? Maybe like we did in Nov 06?
    I will happily take a day off and lead a group if it has any benifit.
    Thoughts? PM me or post if you are interested.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Funny that Senator Coburn saw fit to release his "hold" on the so-called "Veterans Disarmament Act" (HR 2640) the other day but disregards us... look it up, you decide - maybe I read it wrong.

Perhaps the contributions of the NRA to his campaign have something to do with it.

Quadvet, I read your letters regarding Coburn. Great job! Keep 'em coming!
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Thanks, IMhopeful, You do pretty darn well, yourself. Thanks for ALL your work!
    Last edited by quadvet; 01-05-2008 at 05:23 PM.