Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Quote Originally Posted by beachlover
    I sent a message to Coburn office and also to Sen Boxer & Feinsteins office (my CA senators) asking for help.
    I sent a message to Coburn's office and also to Sen. Burr (NC) asking him to put pressure on Coburn. Also sent message to Sen. Dole's office and left a message on their voicemail box.
    Daniel

Response from Coburn

Heard back from Coburn's office. Long story short, after much wrangling and several instances of me saying "Seriously? How ingenuous is THAT?"....because the CDRPA is from long ago, it is one of the only specific-disease-related bills Dr. Coburn is willing to let slide through, IF Sen. Harkin is willing to find a budget offset for it.

(All together now: Really? How ingenuous is THAT?)

That, my friends, is a mighty big if. Courtney, seated at the right hand of Go...er I mean Dr. Coburn, says that Harkin's office has refused to this point.

Who has contacts in Sen. Harkin's office?

Honestly, I have a feeling we're making a dent. She has never returned my call before. We're all over congress.org. Don't give up!

If you live in the United States of America and are SCI, or care in the least for someone affected by paralysis - for GOODNESS SAKE, PLEASE CALL OR WRITE YOUR SENATORS in support of S.1183, the Dana & Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act. Please don't sit on the sideline waiting for someone else to do your work. They can't without your help! YOU can make a big difference by this small act of advocacy. Alternatively, you can quietly sit on your ass while SCI needs are ignored by your government. It's time to be counted. Speak up, Speak Out. Do it NOW!
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 12-18-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I called Harkin's office and left Coburn's message with them.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Sorry guys that I'm so late to the party, I've been holed up with a UTI and pressure sore.... new Minority Whip, John Kyl is the Jr. Senator from AZ. I've called his office for help and called. McCain. Hope no one is holding their breath as neither of my senators have signed on as co-sponsors. BUt, we have to keep trying eh?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Wink

[QUOTE=betheny]
    That, my friends, is a mighty big if. Courtney, seated at the right hand of Go...er I mean Dr. Coburn, says that Harkin's office has refused to this point.

QUOTE]

Yep Betheny, unfortunately there are physicians out there who believe that M.D. is an abbreviation for Minor Deity.

Quote Originally Posted by IMHopeful
    Keep the letters coming! Check it out, our message is out there for everyone to see. Let's try to get a letter from every state. Copy and paste it to his Health Aide too.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...rslist/?id=483
    thx 4 the link--- (i got confused with the forms too...)
    To: Sen. Tom Coburn

What can I write to you that will make you understand of the importance this bill for vetrans, children or your neighbor living with paralysis? As a leader, when a city, road, or bridge in your state is disabled or paralyzed you would take steps to remedy the situation and find the means to do so. Why would you oppose a bill helping those 'humans' paralyzed in the nation? I ask you as an American to put aside your prejudices and release the hold on 'The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act".
    Sincerely,
    A Paralyzed American Paralyzed by your 'hold'

Here is the current list of cosponsors on the Senate side -

11 states have both Senators cosponsoring the bill.
    They are CA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI and VT

As of Dec. 17, MN has support from both Senators!

10 states have a single cosponsor

• CA – Barbara Boxer - Dianne Feinstein
    • CT – Chris Dodd
    • HI – Daniel Inouye
    • IL – Dick Durbin - Barack Obama
    • IA – Tom Harkin
    • MI – Carl Levin
    • MN – Norm Coleman - Amy Klobuchar
    • MD – Barbara Mikulski – Benjamin Cardin
    • MA – John Kerry - Edward Kennedy
    • NJ – Frank Lautenberg - Robert Menendez
    • NM – Jeff Bingaman
    • NY – Hillary Clinton - Charles Shumer
    • NC – Richard Burr
    • OH – Sherrod Brown - George Voinovich
    • OR – Gordon Smith
    • PA – Robert Casey - Arlen Specter
    • RI – Jack Reed - Sheldon Whitehouse
    • SC – Lindsey Graham
    • SD – Tim Johnson
    • VT – Bernard Sanders - Patrick Leahy
    • WA – Patty Murray

29 states still have no cosponsors at all!
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19
    thx 4 the link--- (i got confused with the forms too...)
    To: Sen. Tom Coburn

What can I write to you that will make you understand of the importance this bill for vetrans, children or your neighbor living with paralysis? As a leader, when a city, road, or bridge in your state is disabled or paralyzed you would take steps to remedy the situation and find the means to do so. Why would you oppose a bill helping those 'humans' paralyzed in the nation? I ask you as an American to put aside your prejudices and release the hold on 'The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act".
    Sincerely,
    A Paralyzed American Paralyzed by your 'hold'
    Chaz--excellent argument. Particularly applicable given the attention to the I35W bridge collapse here in Minneapolis. That tragedy happened August 1st and the footings for the new bridge have begun being poured this week on the south side, a mere 4 1/2 months later.

Got an email yesterday from Amy Kloubchar (MN) and she stated that the vote for CDRPA was placed on the calendar Aug. 3rd. Why so long for a vote? Is it still on the calendar? How do I find out? Thanks.