Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act

Got tired of waiting for his office to call me back. LOL, like that was gonna happen.

Courtney-

I have a number of calls in to you, yet you haven't called back. I want to discuss the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act with you, yet again. I want an explanation for why I, a constituent from Oklahoma, have not been informed that Dr. Coburn is the Senator anonymously blocking a bill I have worked hard on. As you know, I have been to DC three years in a row, hoping to discuss this with him.

Senator Coburn claims that his holds promote transparency in government. Nothing done anonymously will ever promote transparency. Since this is not a matter of national security, I should have been informed that my Senator was the one holding the bill I was promoting. You told me you don't know what the problem is with the CDRPA.Were you uninformed?

The courageous man owns his actions. I'd like to request a list of all the holds Dr. Coburn has on current legislation.

The Tulsa-World 12-6-2007 quotes Sen. Harry Reid's spokesman Jim Manley as saying "...time will tell if he (Dr. Coburn) will be more than a minor irritant..."

I have to say that this practice of putting holds on legislation that has cleared the House is more than a minor irritant to me, personally, and to all my friends and colleagues that suffer from paralysis. A day is a very long time when suffering from pain, and in a wheelchair. A legislative session can easily mean death from the complications of paralysis.

This is not a game to me. This is my life, and those of 250,000 paralyzed Americans. Another one is injured every 41 minutes. We need the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act to pass this year. We need the research and quality of life programs it will provide.

It is unfortunate that the government has spent beyond their means. I would have discouraged that. A small return on any investment in recuperative therapies for paralysis will pay off well for my government, as paralysis is a very costly condition. I'd like to see the U.S. Government spend money wisely. They fund enough frivolous studies that I feel no qualms requesting an investment in paralysis research.

I sincerely hope for a response from you. Not a form letter, but an honest response.

Betheny Winkler

Keep the letters coming! Check it out, our message is out there for everyone to see. Let's try to get a letter from every state. Copy and paste it to his Health Aide too.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...rslist/?id=483
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Quote Originally Posted by IMHopeful
    Keep the letters coming! Check it out, our message is out there for everyone to see. Let's try to get a letter from every state. Copy and paste it to his Health Aide too.

I wrote him a letter on Thursday..but it's not in there. I didn't say anything nasty either. Honest I didn't.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Lindox, thanks for sending one.

There has been so much effort into getting the bill to this point. If anyone cares about advancing the research, they need to be involved here. Without everyone's help, I'm not sure those of us that have worked so hard to push this, have the stomach to start over. Everyone's loss.

Anyhow.... in order for your letter to appear the web page, you need to check yes after this......

Would you like to post your message in our "Letters to Leaders" section? If you choose "yes", your letter will appear on Congress.org and other media sites that carry "Letters to Leaders". Please do not put your name or address or any other personal information in the body of the message -- all text entered in the body of the message will appear on public sites. Use the appropriate fields for your name and address.
    Yes No
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Here's my post

Quote Originally Posted by IMHopeful

What Happened to the Up or Down Vote?

To:
    Sen. Tom Coburn

December 16, 2007

All across our county paralyzed Americans, along with their families and friends, have been working five years to get a Senate vote on the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. Please stop denying our right to a Senate vote by your personal 'Hold' on this bill.

Be a true American Senator and remove your Hold. Let all of our Senators vote for their constituents on S.1183. Help paralyzed Oklahomans, Veterans and fellow citizens have their chance for hope!

Allentown , PA

Mine at congress.org...

"Holds" Are a Perversion of Democracy: C/D Reeve Paralysis Act

Tom Coburn has placed "holds" on the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act and 94 other pieces of legislation. Such holds equate to one-man veto power. The Tulsa-World 12-6-2007 quotes Sen. Harry Reid's spokesman Jim Manley as saying "...time will tell if he (Dr. Coburn) will be more than a minor irritant..." A commenter to that article states that Coburn is now our 4th branch of government. One man veto power, what a perversion of democracy Coburn has created.

Putting holds on legislation that has cleared the House is more than a minor irritant to me, personally, and to all my friends and colleagues that suffer from paralysis. A day is a very long time when suffering from pain, and in a wheelchair. A legislative session can easily mean death from the complications of paralysis.
    This is not a game to me. This is my life, and those of 250,000 paralyzed Americans. Another one is injured every 41 minutes. We need the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act to pass this year. We need the research and quality of life programs it will provide.

when are these folks set to bail out for vacation?
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    when are these folks set to bail out for vacation?
    Only Harry Reid knows for sure...

Feet to the fire, Harry!

"...Christmas is usually a time when controversial nominees for top federal jobs wait for Santa, in the form of the president of the United States, to come down the chimney with their recess appointments.

Maybe not this year. Word is Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), in order to prevent President Bush from handing out those goodies, is now thinking about keeping the Senate in session during the Christmas-New Year's break, which starts at the end of next week and continues until the Senate returns in mid- to late January..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hcmodule

New Senate Co-sponsor...

...Senator Amy Klobuchar-D (MN) . She joins Senator Norm Coleman-R (MN) who is a lead co-sponsor.

We need to all be asking our state's Senator's to speak with Sen. Coburn's office to lift the hold on the CDRPA and/or to Senator Harry Reid's office to send the bill to the Senate floor regardless of the hold. As the Senate Majorty Leader, Senator Reid has the power to do so.

Coburn / Boxer / Feinstein

I sent a message to Coburn office and also to Sen Boxer & Feinsteins office (my CA senators) asking for help.