Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Penn & Teller: Anti-ADA Video

  1. #1

    Penn & Teller: Anti-ADA Video

    A friend sent this video to me today. I watched it and had all sorts of feelings about it, but ended up kind of pissed off and motivated to make a response video (someday... not tonight). I'm wondering if other SCI people are angered/offended by it as well?

    http://youtu.be/M4LAjrdyBaY

  2. #2
    I hate everything about that video. The guy in the wheelchair is not typical IMO, but using him makes it look like wheeling is fun, easy and a walk in the park for everyone. And the lady with the blind daughter taking pictures, why does she need HC parking? But they kinda covered that, placards are easy to get. We only hear one side of the story of the businesses in Julian. There are two sides of the street, and every shop has an entrance, plus there must be some rest room facility somewhere. And they picked ADA advocates that served their biased needs.
    Even complaining about lever handles is crap. I have installed some in my own home.

  3. #3
    They attorney (Theodore Pinnock) who filed all the suits in Julian is notorious for doing this all over So. CA. It is how he made his money. He recently resigned from the bar under threat of disbarment for his actions. Shame on him. I go to Julian all the time, and the businesses there, by and large, are more accessible than most modern shops. The public restrooms in Julian are paid toilets (next to the park) and they are fully ADA compliant as well.

    http://www.adaabuse.com/

    There is another attorney in No. CA (Jason Singleton) and others in the Sacramento/Bay area (Scott Johnson,Tom Frankovich, and the Moores, among others) who have been going around doing the same thing:

    http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...s-investigated

    Their actions have done a lot to drum up anti-ADA, and anti-PWD sentiment throughout our state. I am sure there are others in other states who have done the same.

    I agree about the parking issue. The woman with the blind/autistic daughter should NOT be parking in handicapped parking spaces!! I think it is great she is working on enforcement, but she herself is blind to the abuse of these spaces that she herself is carrying out. Ironic, no?

    (KLD)

  4. #4
    California passed a special law where you can sue if you have been denied access. The kicker in California is that damages are written into the law. I think damage limit is 5k and if the owner can show they are making changes the suit is dropped. The threatening letters they described in the Julian case is not what I had been hearing about. And yes he deserved to be forced out.

    Edit, this is from your second link, it brings me more up to date:
    "A California law signed by Gov. Brown last year was supposed to curtail frivolous lawsuits based on ADA and state laws on disability access.

    Among other things, Senate Bill 1186 made it illegal to send letters to businesses threatening to sue if owners do not agree to settle for a certain dollar amount."

  5. #5
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,758
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not angered or offended. Feel bad for those guys. Must be hard being stupid. Harder than being crippled, maybe. Anyway, umbrage is a waste of time, IMO, it could be full-time state of mind if all the ignorant things people think and do got under my skin. Let them bask in their ignorance, and be well with it, methinks. Short life, and all.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity
    Not angered or offended. Feel bad for those guys. Must be hard being stupid. Harder than being crippled, maybe. Anyway, umbrage is a waste of time, IMO, it could be full-time state of mind if all the ignorant things people think and do got under my skin. Let them bask in their ignorance, and be well with it, methinks. Short life, and all.
    If you ignore all the ignorant people in the world, then you have to be willing to accept the current status of things over the long-term. I think that's one problem stupid/ignorant people -- they don't know they're stupid/ignorant. So if you see something you disagree with, but choose to do nothing about it, it is almost the equivalent of agreeing with it. If you disagree with something but just complain about it, that's no better, because nothing is being done to correct or improve the situation. Parking is a big one for me. Most people don't realize why there are the blue lines next to the disabled parking spots, and I know that. But when I see someone parked in the lines, and if I have time (and energy), I will snap a pic of the car to post on a website I'm working on (very very slowly working on). If it's really bad (like someone parking in the lines and blocking my van's ramp), I'll get the chalk marker out of my glove box and leave a message on their driver's door window. If I just got in my van and let them "bask in their ignorance", they would have no idea that they blocked my ramp by parking there. When I get parked in, it usually results in a 20-30 minute transfer+chair-disassembly+chair-reassembly+passenger-to-driver-seat-transfer.

  7. #7
    I just wanted to chime in about the "why does the lady need accessible parking anyway with her blind daughter" thing...They said her daughter also has autism and I know some other families with kids on the autism spectrum who use accessible parking because of bolting. The kids run into traffic and don't have much regard for safety so reducing the distance they need to walk through traffic and cars with their kids seriously increases their safety. What pisses me off is when they take van spots...I am part of another group for people with guide dogs and some have autism assistance dogs and there was this very discussion about using accessible parking with autism. I said I personally had no issues with them using it and totally understood why they did - but PLEASE leave the larger van spots for people with vans and lifts. I then had one mother tell me she was fat (her word, not mine) and she needed the double width to get out of her car and so she used the van spots and felt she had a right to. The placard is for her kid, not her and it was infuriating for me to argue that she should leave those spaces for people with chairs who are literally trapped in their cars without them...but I digress!

    I'm in Canada and we are so envious of your ADA here. This was really upsetting for me! Parts of it felt like extreme hate to me...the amount of internalized ablism with that one guy who uses crutches??? Deny your own disability all your like but don't screw it up for everyone else!

  8. #8

    And exactly how does a HC parking spot prevent a kid from bolting into traffic? Magic blue lines of force? That is a load of crap, if you kid bolts into traffic when he gets out of the car there are ways of dealing with it that don't depend on having a spot that is closer or needs extra room.

    People have this mindset that HC parking is something they deserve, it is a screwed up mindset. I need extra space to get out of my card, if I can't find it at the end of a row I park in a HC spot. I also find disingenuous the people with "invisible" disabilities who need to be 50 feet closer to the store but then can walk around walmart pushing a cart for an hour.

    Bottom line is America has changed into a society where people feel "entitled" to things instead of having to earn them.

    Quote Originally Posted by jkbenny
    I just wanted to chime in about the "why does the lady need accessible parking anyway with her blind daughter" thing...They said her daughter also has autism and I know some other families with kids on the autism spectrum who use accessible parking because of bolting. The kids run into traffic and don't have much regard for safety so reducing the distance they need to walk through traffic and cars with their kids seriously increases their safety. What pisses me off is when they take van spots...I am part of another group for people with guide dogs and some have autism assistance dogs and there was this very discussion about using accessible parking with autism. I said I personally had no issues with them using it and totally understood why they did - but PLEASE leave the larger van spots for people with vans and lifts. I then had one mother tell me she was fat (her word, not mine) and she needed the double width to get out of her car and so she used the van spots and felt she had a right to. The placard is for her kid, not her and it was infuriating for me to argue that she should leave those spaces for people with chairs who are literally trapped in their cars without them...but I digress!

    I'm in Canada and we are so envious of your ADA here. This was really upsetting for me! Parts of it felt like extreme hate to me...the amount of internalized ablism with that one guy who uses crutches??? Deny your own disability all your like but don't screw it up for everyone else!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst
    ...People have this mindset that HC parking is something they deserve, it is a screwed up mindset. ...
    I was getting back into my van through the side door. The couple next to me on the other side of the hash marks gingerly walked out of the store and started getting in their car. I stopped them and asked why did you park there? He, the driver acted like he did not understand. I wanted to know why he used the HC spot since neither appeared to need it and there were non HC spots nearby. The second time I asked he understood the question and pointed to the HC placard. Great he did because he could (felt entitled). I gave him my speech about why the hashmarks are there and that I cannot use the other spots without taking a chance of getting trapped. He left without saying anything.

    But I have done this several times now if I am clearly either getting in or out using that hashmark space and find an abuser nearby. Once a fellow was very apologetic and moved, but usually the offender will not admit their lack of understanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •