Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work and Life...

Work and Life...

Somedays I just wonder what I am working for. I have a very demanding job that draws nearly all of my energy. The pay is very good. That I am thankful for but at what cost? Of course I understand that living my entire adult life as a quad will ultimately lead to an early demise. I wont live until 80, I know that. Am I taking additional years off my life by working so hard? Do any of you ever feel this way?

I could be taking much better care of myself. Getting better rest. Doing more things

Or is it just that my shoulder hurts and I have a bad cold...

Sounds like you need a vacation or better work/life balance. I think we all feel the same way at times.

Why do I work?
    Good question.
    My answer is easy - I have to in order to support a family.
    I'm not a quad, but I struggle with pain and limited mobility. I know that I have to be more careful with my health, rest, etc. thean I was pre-sci.

Your priority, I think, should be your physical well-being, all things being equal,
    Do you have to work?
    Do you work for money or is it something that defines you as a person.
    If you didn't need money, would you still do what you do?
    Don't wear yourself out.

You keep working that hard and you'll have a 60 million dollar funeral.

you might just need a break, if you totally quit work, then what would you do all day? I don't think I want to live to 80, i think 70 would be a good age to hit the coffin hah
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    Somedays I just wonder what I am working for.
    That's a question that everyone has to answer.

I have a very demanding job that draws nearly all of my energy. The pay is very good. That I am thankful for but at what cost?
    If you make good money, are you in a position to take some time off and develop a new career? Something you enjoy more that is less demanding?

Of course I understand that living my entire adult life as a quad will ultimately lead to an early demise. I wont live until 80, I know that. Am I taking additional years off my life by working so hard? Do any of you ever feel this way?
    To be honest, I have no desire to live to 80. I have a good life, but it has gotten harder and harder and I don't see that changing. I don't ever want to be dependent and if that means that I don't live to a ripe, old age, I'm OK with that.

I could be taking much better care of myself. Getting better rest. Doing more things

I don't know too many people that haven't questioned their career choices at one time or another. It's still too rare for people to really know what they are good at and to find a way to make a living at it. Whatever you do, you need to take care of yourself. Most people have to work for a living, but unless you LOVE what you do, it shouldn't consume your life. It should allow you to do other things that you enjoy. Else, what's the point?

C.

billy, I recently wrestled with this same set of questions. I've been working a steady job since I was 10 years old, every year, through my injury and even through college. Now I'm 45, and after working 35 of those years including the last 20 1/2 in a chair, I'm tired. I've pretty much retired.

Here's how I look at it. Those of us with sci have to spend a lot more time to do the simple, mandatory things in life. And we usually die younger than ABs.

So if somebody can afford it, why not just stop working and spend your time doing the things you most enjoy in life? Unless you enjoy work the most, that is

I am para, T4/5, and suffer the usual problems of having a sci, mainly pain and spasticity for me. Working as I did so long has aggravated pain and other problems. I plan on enjoying myself for the next few years, at least.

Believe me, it's awful nice to sleep in in the morning. Much less stress. The high profile defense job I had was really not worth it to me physically, and I just up and made the decision. I'm sure as hell not getting younger, and who knows when each of us will die? We could die tomorrow, and my last memory shouldn't be, and isn't going to be, working 14 hours so I can present some new "must have" military software to colonels who really don't understand what the hell I'm saying. Dealing with inept colonels day in and day out I've come to find out can really drive a person insane...at least this person.

If I get bored, I can always go back to work. I've saved enough for a cure therapy if/when one arrives to the masses. I can now try to write and paint, which has always been a desire of mine, but I couldn't do it while working. And camp and fish and travel our country and do whatever the hell I want to do. And kids have long flown.

I was born dirt-poor, and I've accomplished a lot in life, both pre/post sci. I was written off a long time ago by a lot of different people, but I persevered and prospered until a sci set me back some. Why not enjoy life while it's still enjoyable?

Think it out billy. It all depends on if you can stay occupied if you're not working. I can, and do, and I even help out with my brother's construction company...a strong work ethic is hard to put down, but I'm giving it a heck of try brownie And I have TIME to do things I like, and I'm loving it so far.

best of luck

oh yeah, you'll more than likely feel guilty if you retire or stop working. It comes with the territory I've found out, and many people get pissed off when I tell them I'm retired so young. Instead of being happy for me , it royally yanks some people's chains. People believe that if you CAN work, then you SHOULD be working.

Oh well, I can live with it. The guilt is just because of a strong work ethic. But I'm already stress-free from not working my job, and I'm working on being guilt-free...and enjoying the experience.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I'm with RDF on this one....2 months ago i gave up full time to work only one day a week. I'm 36 years old, single. I did it because I was living for work, for a job that I didnt enjoy enough to spend 5 days a week at. My weekends were spent trying to have a social life as well as recover from the week of early starts and the stress that builds up. And, I sorta count myself lucky that I didnt end up with skin breakdowns or UTI, as I really felt I was running raggard at times.

Do your sums....if you can manage it financially, you are crazy not to reduce your hours or at least take 6 months or a year off. Try not to let feelings of guilt plague you, as it has been with me at times. I based my own worthiness at being able to contribute, earn money....but with each day that I dont go to work, I am getting over that......hehe.

However be that be careful that you arent doing it for reasons such as depression, that might be worsened being in a different lifestyle situation with plenty of time on your hands.

I'm with RDF on this one....2 months ago i gave up full time to work only one day a week. I'm 36 years old, single. I did it because I was living for work, for a job that I didnt enjoy enough to spend 5 days a week at. My weekends were spent trying to have a social life as well as recover from the week of early starts and the stress that builds up. And, I sorta count myself lucky that I didnt end up with skin breakdowns or UTI, as I really felt I was running raggard at times.

Do your sums....if you can manage it financially, you are crazy not to reduce your hours or at least take 6 months or a year off. Try not to let feelings of guilt plague you, as it has been with me at times. I based my own worthiness at being able to contribute, earn money....but with each day that I dont go to work, I am getting over that......hehe.

However be that be careful that you arent doing it for reasons such as depression, that might be worsened being in a different lifestyle situation with plenty of time on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    Somedays I just wonder what I am working for. I have a very demanding job that draws nearly all of my energy. The pay is very good. That I am thankful for but at what cost? Of course I understand that living my entire adult life as a quad will ultimately lead to an early demise. I wont live until 80, I know that. Am I taking additional years off my life by working so hard? Do any of you ever feel this way?

I wonder this all the time.

I enjoy my job, just think I need a holiday. I party pretty hard and that takes its toll.

My thoughts have turned more to this recently. I'm about to receive a substantial sum of money from a house sale and a friend of mine has just quit his job to go travelling - if it weren't for the chair I'd be heading for the airport to travel for a year
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."