Thread: Zinc Pyrithione May Help Fight Epilepsy

Zinc Pyrithione May Help Fight Epilepsy

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427120216.htm

Bathing cells with small amounts of ZnPy caused the mutant potassium channels to let three times as much potassium flow through, raising the possibility of restoring normal nerve cell activity.
    Hi Wise, this line caught my attention. This suggests that opening or normalizing potassium channels improves nerve cell conduction. Is this mechanism of action different from 4AP?
    Last edited by antiquity; 04-28-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427120216.htm

Hi Wise, this line caught my attention. This suggests that opening or normalizing potassium channels improves nerve cell conduction. Is this mechanism of action different from 4AP?
    4-AP *blocks* the fast voltage sensitive potassium channels. Note that 4-AP increases risk of epilepsy. It also suggests that anti-epileptic medication may reduce conduction. Wise.

Ohhhh ok, got it. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    4-AP *blocks* the fast voltage sensitive potassium channels. Note that 4-AP increases risk of epilepsy. It also suggests that anti-epileptic medication may reduce conduction. Wise.
    I'm outta my league here, but reducing nerve conduction in early injury stages is not a good idea, I would think. For instance, my case, As quick as I got settled in to rehab, they gave me high doses of tegretol, three times a day to see if it would help with the burning pain(along with elavil).
    Anyway, this lessening nerve conduction at this point would REDUCE chances of reforming connections between nerves on oppsite sides of the injury site, or does this affect it?

Maybe I just k0rnfuzed here.

By the way, I'm just curious, not trying to poke a finger at something and say THIS is why I didn't recover, lol. I am well settled that this is my fault alone. In fact, if I can get a TR soon, I'll be happy to be a wc user

Gabapentin and 4 AP

Dr. Young,

What is your opinion of taking Gabapentin and 4 AP? Because Gabapentin is considered an anti-seizure medication would it interfere with 4 AP?