Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any SCIs who aren't on anti-depressants?

No one ever mentioned anti-depressants to me. I thought it was a joke when the hospital psychologist asked me if I wanted to off myself. All I could think of was, "Exactly how does he think I (a C4-5) might accomplish that?". I told the young nurse who was translating for me (I was trached & she read lips) that the guy was full of s**t and she laughed. I don't remember him visiting me again.
    I did become very friendly with the nurse, though. A story for another day.

I don't think that every rehab prescribes anti-depressants. They are often used in treating neurogenic pain, so maybe more people are on them now than in the past. If it helps the pain - great, since my understanding is that type of pain can be very debillitating. However, each person should make the decision for themselves as to whether or not they want to take any medication.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    I once tried a sub-therapeutic dose of Elavil to combat neuropathic pain. Didn't do much for the pain and it blurred my vision at a time that basketball was my life. Not sure I finished the script, but I know it didn't get re-filled.

I have grave concerns about side effects of most medications taken over long periods of time. Anti-seizure and mood elevating drugs are high on the list of drugs that I feel need to be monitored diligently.
    I was given one dose of Elavil for pain also. Now I know what my friends were doing LSD for in high school. Not for me. I found the hallucinations that night terrifying and my spouse read the staff the riot act. Haven't touched an anti-depressant since.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thumbs down

They put me on antidepressants without telling us in the hospital, but as soon as we found out I stopped taking them. It irritates me that they tried to give me a happy pill to make everything OK. Obviously SCI sucks and is a lot to deal with, but I don't need a pill fucking with my brain chemistry on top of that. Later on I was prescribed another one, Elavil I think. That made me more depressed than I've ever been. Almost the whole time I was on that I felt terrible and was constantly wishing I was dead. So I quit poisoning my brain with that garbage. I'm sure some people have chemical imbalances and antidepressants help them, but I hate them and will never take them again.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

i never was on any...hhhmmm maybe i should be...lol

Thumbs up this old blind guy didn't need anti depressants

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who
    is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair
    fashionably coifed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally
    blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently
    passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the
    nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready.

As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual
    description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had
    been
    hung on his window.

"I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an
    eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait."

"That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied.

"Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time.
    Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is
    arranged .. it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it.
    "It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice;
    I
    can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the
    parts
    of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for
    the ones that do.

Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll
    focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away. Just
    for this time in my life.

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in.

So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of
    happiness in the bank account of memories! Thank you for your part in
    filling my Memory bank. I am still depositing." Remember the five
    simple
    rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
    2. Free your mind from worries.
    3. Live simply.
    4. Give more.
    5. Expect less.

Mikey: that sounds like the kind of gold guy I'd like to know.

I never took anti-depressants. Not that I was never depressed, but I felt I could handle it. Afterall, the reasons I was depressed had nothing to do with chemical imbalances, and since my problems stem from random undiagnosed neurological disorders, it seemed to me that adding even more things to the fray without knowing for certain what reactions I would have would be asking for trouble.

So when I'm sad, I stare out the windows. I may cry. When I'm angry, I rant. I may rave. I may scream. When I'm infuriated with the unfairness of it all, I beat the f*** out of something that can take it, even if my hand can't.

And then I go on with my life.

At some point I may need those meds, and should that point come, well. So be it. In the meantime, nothing I personally have experienced is from anything other than standard ordinary sadness, nostalgia, and hurt.

Edit: That said my former GP tried to prescribe me everything from mild anti-depressants to extreme anti-psychotics. I fired the guy on the last straw - when he threatened me with a gyn exam and called me a "basketcase" after I refused and told him I didn't appreciate him telling me I was imagining things.

Nope, don't like em. But will gladly smash Shaun's balls for him.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I was on them while in rehab not to my knowing until I was about to be released and they asked me what medicine they thought I would still like to be on. I said what?! I was on antidepressants??

Psychiatric Drugs: Cure or Quackery?

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/index.htm

Psychiatric Drugs: Cure or Quackery?

"If I wanted to ruin someone's life, I would convince the person that that biological psychiatry is right - that relationships mean nothing, that choice is impossible, and that the mechanics of a broken brain reign over our emotions and conduct."

If I wanted to impair an individual's capacity to create empathetic, loving relationships, I would prescribe psychiatric drugs, all of which blunt our highest psychological and spiritual functions."

Nothing has harmed the quality of individual life in modern society more than the misbegotten belief that human suffering is driven by biological and genetic causes and can be rectified by taking drugs or undergoing electroshock therapy."

Peter R. Breggin, M.D., in the Foreward to Reality Therapy in Action by William Glasser, M.D. (Harper Collins, 2000).

Also, I agree with many of these:

"25 Good Reasons Why Psychiatry Must Be Abolished"

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/25reason.htm