Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pic Line, Central Line or ??

Pic Line, Central Line or ??

Bill is waiting on his flap surgery date and went today to have a pic line inserted but they couldn't get a vein ! Instead they are going to do a little surgery to put in some kind of valve under the skin for lines instead ... does anyone know what that might be ... it's not central line!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Are they going to put it in his upper chest wall? Usually these are ports or mediports put in underneath the skin that are accessed by a thin needle. Generally it isnt that painful to access them and they can leave the needle and 4 inch tubing in for a few days while you connect and diconnect the IV line.

When not being used, they do have to be flushed every month unless there is some new type. Also they can get infected.

Blog Entries
    they poked and gouged on my right arm for over 20 minutes and couldn't get it, then another 15 on my left before success. I have HUGE veins too. Burses joke they can hit them from the end of the bed. The outside skin is hard to puncture tho, tough as leather. I personally think it was inexperience, maybe I am wrong there. They didn't put mine in until after about a week. Those antibiotics BURNED thru an IV and got really sore at the entry after about a day of use. After about thre placement changes, I asked for a pic line. Torture time was over.
    Did they try for a while and in different areas on different arms or just give up in a few minutes? Or does he usually have problems with needles and IVs?
    If either one was the case, I'd try to see if someone else can try for the pic line.

Go somewhere else to try the PICC line ... I had terrible luck at one hospital. Switched to another and I was finished in twenty minutes.

Did they try this at that 16-bed hospital place?

It might be a port which is implanted under the skin. I have never had one, but I would definitely prefer it to a central line. I've had pic lines before and had bad experiences with them, they kept falling out etc. But this last hospitalization, they put one in and it didn't hurt at all and lasted for six months. So it depends on where you have it done. There are three different types of ports that go under the skin that i know of, and I know that one is better than the other. I think it is called a Heplock, but I am not sure. But if it is a port, I would stick with that or try the pic line again. Don't let them do a central line, femoral line, or a jugular IV? I have had all three of those and they are pretty miserable, the jugular and the femoral are worse than the central. I hope that everything goes well with the lines and the surgery!

Thanks for the replies everyone! No Lyniffer he went to a larger centre for the PICC. Bill's veins have just gotten bad from being poked so much over the years and I agree an experienced needle person is in order here. I think I understand now about the port .. he has had a central line inserted before ... yes they are miserable and I believe are generally a last resort or only for real emergent cases.

I wish I could shake this bad feeling .... nothing is going very well ..... except when he got his hair washed the other day ... he said it felt better than sex at least he hasn't lost his sense of humour ..... thanks again !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

try someone else. i had the pic w/ that staph i had, it sucked but the ivs were just klilling my forearms. they got my pic first shot. bicep on left arm.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    I wish I could shake this bad feeling .... nothing is going very well .....
    Obieone
    Remember the Power of Positive Thinking Obie. Everything will go perfectly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    he went to a larger centre for the PICC. Bill's veins have just gotten bad from being poked so much over the years and I agree an experienced needle person is in order here.
    I insisted that the anesthesiologist start my pic line when I went in for surgery last time. I have crappy veins that look good on the surface, but collapse easily. And I'm VERY picky about where they stick me. They ended up putting the line into my upper arm.

C.

Either a port or a PICC line is the way to go. Central lines are not much fun. None of the options are great - but they are better than being stuck for a peripheral line.
    CKF