Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reoccuring UTI every 2 months

Reoccuring UTI every 2 months

I have gone from using Noroxin to Cypro to now Tobrimycin injections for infections, I am becoming more sensitive to meds each time I have an infection and am beginning to worry. What does everyone else do to cut down on infections?? I was hoping once the indwelling was out it would be better.

I know self cath since Mitrofinoff,post 3 months but have had 2 infections.

I drink 8-10 glassess water, tried cranberry pills, I take Mandelamine mandelate 4x a day. I clean the catheters with liquid soap,let dry and pee into a cup and wash that too with liquid soap. I wipe stoma area with a huggies wet one before and after.

What am I doing wrong that infections still persist? Does anyone put the clean cath into the opening of the lubricant is this my problem, I am at a loss, any ideas?.

Hi,

When I did intermittent cathing I also got UTI's that often. But I didn't become resistant to the meds.Now I have an indwelling and haven't had a UTI since. I don't think it's that though, as I started on D-Mannose at the same time I got the Foley. At first I took it every 2-3 hours a teaspoon, now I take a maintenence dose of 1tsp in morning and 1tsp at night. No UTI in two years. THAT is the longest ever for me.
    Do a search for D-Mannose and you'll find all kinds of info on it.

RIver

You mean you stick the catheter into the tube? That could be the problem. Why don't you try the little packets instead of the tube? I assume you stick the cath in because you can't squeeze it?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

try that uroquid stuff, some swear by it

I stick the catheter in the tube and I have only had one UTI this year.

When you figure it out, please let the rest of us know! Eating and drinking as well as general cleanliness are important factors for your body to be able to fight off the relentless attack of those incessant bugs. However, I don't know about other people, but if I'm stressing, I'm getting an UTI.

What is uroquid? pill form?
    Originally posted by fuentejps:

try that uroquid stuff, some swear by it

The little packets are difficult for me to open I would need scissors to do it, to buy the packets I think would be pretty expensive. Where do you get your from? I can squeeze the tube but the lube goes back in before I can get my lube on catheter. We did have some that didn't do that but they have been out of stock for 2 months now.Can't seem to get it in.
    Originally posted by Emi:

You mean you stick the catheter into the tube? That could be the problem. Why don't you try the little packets instead of the tube? I assume you stick the cath in because you can't squeeze it?

~ Anon

Originally posted by ibi:

The little packets are difficult for me to open I would need scissors to do it, to buy the packets I think would be pretty expensive. Where do you get your from? I can squeeze the tube but the lube goes back in before I can get my lube on catheter. We did have some that didn't do that but they have been out of stock for 2 months now.Can't seem to get it in.
    Originally posted by Emi:

~ Anon
    Ah I see, you can't open the packets with your teeth eh? I don't know how expensive they are. Hmmm, what abot having someone squeeze some into a Ziplock or something you can open?

~ Anon

Have you had recent urodynamics? A common cause of recurrent infections is a high pressure bladder, and only urodynamics can tell you your pressures. Have you had tests for stones or bladder diverticuli? These can lead to recurrent infections as well.

How often do you cath, and for what amounts? Cathing too infrequently or having large volumes also makes you more likely to have UTIs.

Are your antibiotics reserved for only true infections and not just positive cultures? Are they always based on a sensitivity test and not just a shot-gun approach using a big-gun antibiotic?

I also do not recommend poking your catheter into a big tube of lubricant if you reuse catheters. Instead, squeeze a little out onto your thigh or a paper towel, and run the catheter through it.

(KLD)