Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stephen Hawking set to fly weightless

Houston Chronicle
    April 26, 2007, 7:24AM
    Stephen Hawking set to fly weightless

By MIKE SCHNEIDER Associated Press Writer
    © 2007 The Associated Press

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — For a few seconds on Thursday, astrophysicist Stephen Hawking expects to feel the exhilaration of escaping his paralysis and floating free in zero gravity.

"For someone like me whose muscles don't work very well, it will be bliss to be weightless," Hawking told The Associated Press in an interview ahead of his planned zero gravity flight.

Hawking, a mathematics professor at the Cambridge who has done groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe, has the paralyzing disease ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

The 65-year-old was set Thursday to become the first person with a disability to experience the Zero Gravity Corp. flight.

The rest of this article.

(KLD)

Yeah, I read that this morning. Two thoughts came to mind.

Fame brings privilge.

He's probablly too busy to participate in this thread.

Unable to talk or move his hands and legs, Hawking can only make tiny facial expressions using the muscles around his eyes, eyebrows, cheek and mouth.
    source
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 04-26-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Wow .. what an experience this will be for him .. I wonder if he is truly prepared for the emotional impact I suspect it will have on him ..... you're right about the fame comment FO .... this is probably a weird thing to say I guess but I'd give anything to spend a day inside his "mind" ......

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

This is so great! I hope he has the time of his life
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3659096.html

Free of his wheelchair and tethered only to heart rate and blood pressure monitors, astrophysicist Stephen Hawking on Thursday fulfilled a dream of floating weightless on a zero-gravity jet, a step he hopes leads to further space adventures.
    The modified jet carrying Hawking, a handful of his physicians and nurses, and dozens of others first flew up to 24,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean off Florida. Nurses lifted Hawking and carried him to the front of the jet, where they placed him on his back atop a special foam pillow.
    The jet then climbed to around 32,000 feet and made a parabolic dive back to 24,000 feet, allowing Hawking and the other passengers to experience weightlessness for about 25 seconds.
    Hawking, a mathematics professor at the University of Cambridge who has done groundbreaking work on black holes and the origins of the universe, has the paralyzing disease ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.
    The 65-year-old was the first person with a disability to experience the flight by Zero Gravity Corp., which has flown about 2,700 people out of Florida since late 2004 and began offering the flights in Las Vegas this week.
    click link for more story

just attended a lecture by him 3 (?) weeks ago. the man is amazing and does not look 65 at all.