Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's With Dis?

What's With Dis?

I am a word person. Words can define an individual or a whole class of people. Take the word "disabled". The prefix "dis" says to us, "not, without,
    out of order, you get the message. I have been searching my mind (shallow territory) for a substitute for disabled. My results are dis-mal at best. I came up with "wheelers, corders, gimpsters, gimpists, rollers." I resisted the AB's labels--"otherabled, differentlyabled, misabled, somewhatabled, and so on. What do you want to to labeld as?
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

me

but i can settle for that cute girl in the chair
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I, too, am a word person. I refer to myself as dis, just "dis" as a word of its own, stand alone, in and of itself. It covers the subject of what's up with me physically.

I got over being PC a helluva long time ago.

For me, there is more to me than the sum of my disses. Yet, when I refer to the cerebral palsy and SCI and yada, yada, yada affecting my body, dis covers a mutiltude of bodily sins.

What word or words do you like for referring to us in this post SCI state, Redneck?

I dubbed myself a "wobbily hobbily girl" a long time ago.

and made myself a superhero logo to go with the label.

As for labels? I care not. I'm broken. I'm disabled. I'm a gimp. I'm a girl. I'm happy and more or less content. I don't care what anyone calls me because I am what I am and if the label is true, I feel I have no call to take offense at it.

Tht doesn't mean the labels don't hurt - often they do. But what was that phrase.. uh.. "The truth hurts"? yeah. That one. But it's still the truth.

I am me. I'm vertically challenged. Don't care for crip or gimp either.

Nice logo Jeannette.

Gimp's OK with me but I favor vertically challanged. "Juat in it for the parking space."er.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

If you use the word disabled or come up with something which sounds better what is the difference? You are still the same. I am completely happy being me but I have to call myself something. It might as well be acurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck
    I am a word person. Words can define an individual or a whole class of people.
    Agreed. Language shapes thought and that drives perception which creates reality.

I have been searching my mind (shallow territory) for a substitute for disabled. My results are dis-mal at best. I came up with "wheelers, corders, gimpsters, gimpists, rollers." I resisted the AB's labels--"otherabled, differentlyabled, misabled, somewhatabled, and so on. What do you want to to labeld as?
    Technically speaking, I believe that "people with disabilities" is the most accurate term and I use it in my writing and when I speak publically as much as possible. Person first, qualifier second. It's how a lot of other languages work. English is an exception. That being said, in daily life I use "gimp" most often to refer to myself and when I raced my old car, my friends thought it was ironic to refer to the "little crippled girl who races a Ferrari".

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    ...my friends thought it was ironic to refer to the "little crippled girl who races a Ferrari".
    ....That has kind of a 'hot' ring to it

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    ....That has kind of a 'hot' ring to it
    Well, my husband seemed to think so.

C.