Thread: brace

brace

I have an appointment with my physiatrist(sp? SCI rehab doc) coming up in the next few weeks. I want to ask him about some type of brace. I have a horrible habit of leaning to my right when I drive, sit in class, or anytime I am sitting for extended period of time. My fear is that I am going to cause some serious scoliosis problems. I am wondering if anyone has had posture problems that they were able to correct, or at least slightly improve with some type of brace? If so what kind? I want to go in with some educated knowledge of the subject in order to efficiently get things taken care of. thnks for any input.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Commonly called spinal orthoses
    Spinal orthoses can be used for:
    -controlling spinal position by external forces
    -applying corrective forces to abnormal curvatures
    -providing spinal stabilization when soft tissues cannot
    -restricting spinal segment movement after trauma.
    They can all be individualized but don't want anything too restrictive or you won' t like the feeling. I would recommend ask your MD/therapistabout sitting device that could be placed in car/wheelchair to help with this- chairback brace.Molded jackets are usually the most preferred due to their lightweight and are
    easily tolerated.

Common TLO's are:

ThoracoLumbar Orthoses

Thoracic Motion:
    horizontally-oriented facets and ribcage attachments to sternum limit flexion/extension, exc. In lower region.
    6-9 degrees of lateral bending and rotation in each segment.

Lumbar motion:

Predominant motion is flexion/extension, followed by lateral bending and then rotation.

Greatest flexion/extension and least bending/rotation at L5-S1.

Lumbosacral Orthoses:

Chairback brace - anterior corset/apron with midaxillary metal uprights; controls flexion extension

William's brace - allows free flexion and limits extension; uses lever action and abdominal support to decrease lordosis

Thoracolumbar Orthoses (TLSO's):

Taylor brace - Thoracolumbar corset with axillary straps; designed to limit flexion/extension; Poor efficacy

Molded jackets - thermoplastic or casted; highest efficacy to control post-fracture/injury spinal motion

Jewett Hyperextension brace - three-point pressure over sternum, pubis and posterior lumbar spine; prevents flexion; used with compression fractures; not indicated with osteoporosis secondary to excess forces generated
    CWO

Hey Amanda,
    I have the same problem too. I always lean to my right probably because I have more right arm movement. I lean to my right even in my standing frame, but I was not aware that I should be concerned about it. Thanks for the past

Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God