Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You know you're a SCI caregiver when ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You know you're a SCI caregiver when ...

.... inspired by the thread in the Life forum ....
    • when every third person you meet in public says to you, with a gentle pat on your arm and an ever so small tear glinting in their eye "you are so special to be with him"
    • when people ask if your sci'ed husband who is exactly the same age as you "Are you his mother"?
    • when people ask if you are your husband's nurse ... for who else would be out in public with a paralyzed guy?
    • when people speak to you instead of your perfectly articulate sci'ed mate
    • when you routinely dicuss the finer points of bowel movement management at dinner. in public. without noticing.
    • when you really miss not having hubby with you because you don't have anywhere to hang your purse or shopping bags
    I'm sure there are a 1000 more. So, who is next? Go check out the life one, its hilarious!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    [*]when you really miss not having hubby with you because you don't have anywhere to hang your purse or shopping bags[/LIST]I'm sure there are a 1000 more. So, who is next? Go check out the life one, its hilarious!

thats too damn funny, but my daughter said same thing when she saw what you wrote

Ami... I love this!

- When he comes home early from work with an invol (the bowel movement explosion of the year!) that takes 2 hours to clean up from and take care of! (And I thought I would come home early and catch a nap... NOT!)
    - When your basement floods from 3 inches of rain in one day and YOU are the one getting the water out of the basement.

Welcome to my world...

Love, Sieg

when you can do the bowel program, answer your phone, and eat your breakfast all at the same time….

when you visit some AB sickie at home or in a hospital and you start to hold a drink up to their mouth so they can take a sip or you check to make sure they’re properly padded in bed and their heels aren’t touching the mattress....oh crap, I forgot, they’re not even paralyzed

when you’re flipping the TV channels and you see SCI-FI and your first thought is that it must be some show on spinal cord injury

when you mop up a gallon of pee from the bedroom floor, bleach down the floor, and then run off to work because the urine bedside bag leaked all night long after the dog bumped it and the valve opened up. The scary part is that this seems normal to you.

when people look at and the first thing comes to their mind is , oh poor you, noone ever gonna ask you out...
    When people meet you and start telling story about not giving up hope cause someone they know got paralyzed and magically start walking!!!!
    when people see you with you locking the car and surprised you are driving
    when you go to hotel or any public restroom but your wheelchair cannt fit in since the definition of disabled washroom means it needs grabbing bar
    ps- Ami, you look really good in that picture

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie_girl_
    when people look at and the first thing comes to their mind is , oh poor you, noone ever gonna ask you out...
    When people meet you and start telling story about not giving up hope cause someone they know got paralyzed and magically start walking!!!!
    when people see you with you locking the car and surprised you are driving
    when you go to hotel or any public restroom but your wheelchair cannt fit in since the definition of disabled washroom means it needs grabbing bar
    ps- Ami, you look really good in that picture
    oops, I'm an idiot... I thought the subject is you know YOU are sci when...rather than sci caregiver...soooooorryy Ami...

...when you can pick up a pile of poop in your (thankfully gloved) hand without being grossed out. And joke about it.
    ...when you can seriously discuss it's consistency in detail.
    ...when an acquaintance asks if you've been soaking your wife's feet in warm water, because that will cure her.
    Taj - I can relate to the gallon of pee in the carpet (that area sticks out like a sore thumb now, it's now the cleanest spot on the floor)!
    - Richard

..when you get confused whether it's you or the other one who is the carer/caree
    - Richard

- when you get up in the morning and after you visit the little girls (or boys) room and make the coffee you sit right down at the computer and login to CC !!

- you give your significant other a cup of coffee in bed and its not even their birthday, mother's day, father's day .....

- you can pretty much do an educational workshop on almost all aspects of living with sci ... and your students are usually docs, nurses etc. ........

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

How about when you can have a descent conversation with your caregiver while you are getting dig stim.......?