Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You'll Never Be Able

You'll Never Be Able

Has your PT every told you not to bother, you'll never be able to do it?

Dennis' PT told him he would never be able to roll himself over.

He is C5 almost four years post. He is in good shape, good health, does PT twice a week, puts miles a week on his manual chair with assist wheels.

Granted he is big - 6'2, 190 pounds. But wouldn't it be nice to hear, "Let's really work hard on this, I know you really want to be able to do it".

UGH!

ha - all the time! But less and less the more I keep doing what I was told I couldn't do. Told I couldn't roll, can roll. A flicker of toe movement meant nothing, can move my legs. And on an on.

These quotes from Kate's live update re-energized my hope
    Gets Pat Rummerfield up on the stage. Guy in a brown suit, walking with a bit of a limp. Was ASIA A for years. Injury at C4. Wow, the image on the screen is Pat's MRI. Doesn't look so good. Shows a cross section with a blob of scar tissue.

Pat is now ASIA D. His sensory score is 5% of normal, so he has big impairments. MacDonald is saying that this is doable for 80% of people with SCI. The message is to make use of what's been learned .

Sue says that this past week, using things she learned from him, she was able to brush and floss her own teeth without using her arm support for the first time in 6 and a half years. You go, Sue!
    Talking about the clinical trial in CA in which 90% of incompletes in both the locomotor group AND in the standard rehab walked . . . key seems to have been that ALL the patients were told that there was a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1
    Has your PT every told you not to bother, you'll never be able to do it?
    -

Yes!
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Darren

What have you accomplished physically that you have been told you could not do?

My PT told me, "if I (my PT) was a betting man, i'd bet you'll never walk
    again".

I'm glad I didn't take that bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1
    What have you accomplished physically that you have been told you could not do?
    Probably more than I can remember. Not having any voluntary movement in my lower would probably be the most general thing. Also, getting any triceps or finger movment. I had to convince OT's for weeks I had tricep.

Also not ever being able to feel if I gotta take a leak. I can't really take any credit for that though, I think that's something that comes back or doesn't. Kegel's can help though.

My YouTube videos can speak for themselves. I actually haven't put anything up on there in awhile, username dtemp24.

I kind of feel bad for most PT's. I compare them to racehorses that wear those blinders. Getting your degree is hard I know, and all this information is shoved down their throat, and they have no choice but to listen to what they are told. The philosophy hardly ever changes and not much progress is made. I look at most PT's and know that there is so much information out there that they have no idea about.

I know there are exceptions to my little analogy, so please don't take offense but in my experience this holds true most of the time. My sister is going to school for PT so I hope she breaks the mold.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Right after my injury at 15, the OT told me I could still have a good life in my condition and being a rebel, I set out to prove her wrong.

Months later after another surgery, the PT I had was a nun and she told me we all have to deal with what God dealt to us. We didn't get along too well.

Yes.I told them only GOD can tell me that.Look at me now.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Cool picture, Geno.

The doctor in rehab along with a few nurses got off on repeating to all the patience that we were never going to walk again and to forget the life we once had.

I heard that the same doctor jumped off the roof of the hospital a few months later. Just kidding, he didn't. But that would be cool, right? He was a serious dick. Satan would love him.

The OT's and PT's were kick ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad
    Cool picture, Geno.

The doctor in rehab along with a few nurses got off on repeating to all the patience that we were never going to walk again and to forget the life we once had.

I heard that the same doctor jumped off the roof of the hospital a few months later. Just kidding, he didn't. But that would be cool, right? He was a serious dick. Satan would love him.

The OT's and PT's were kick ass though.
    Thanks Dave.Yeah that would have been cool.Ya could have played ''Jump'' by VAN HALEN.Then ''Running with the Devil''. lol
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com