Thread: Dream of flying again comes true for paralyzed pilot

Dream of flying again comes true for paralyzed pilot

Winging it
    Posted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2007 - 09:32:08 am MDT
    By LYNNETTE HINTZE
    The Daily Inter Lake

Justin Sands was fresh out of high school and just six days away from getting his private pilot’s license when a four-wheeler accident paralyzed him from the waist down.

The tragedy steered his life in a different direction, but he never strayed far from his passion for planes. Life came full circle for Sands a year and a half ago when he and his wife, Tracy, bought Red Eagle Aviation, a fixed-base operation at the Kalispell City Airport that offers flight instruction and charter services.
    snip
    JUNE 16, 1991, was like any other early summer day in the Flathead. Sands and his friends were riding their four-wheelers on Blacktail Mountain, checking out the terrain, when Sands’ vehicle flipped.

“It folded me up like a pretzel,” he said, recalling the accident. “It doesn’t take much sometimes” to get injured.

He spent the rest of the summer at Craig Hospital in Denver, a facility that specializes in spinal-cord injuries and rehabilitation. Plans to attend Cheyenne Aerospace were scrapped. Sands had intended to get his air-frame and power license there so he could do mechanic work on planes to help pay for college.
    more: http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articl...ness/bus01.txt

I wonder why it took him so long to go for his pilot's license again.

C.

Thank you for posting this article, Jadis. Never forget your dreams. I dream of becoming independent again, but I know it will take some time.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete