Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: You Know You're "A Person With A Disability" When

You'r A Person With A Disability

When senior citizens quickly move to open a door you you.

When sexual intercourse is a rapidly fading memory.

When the majority of the written correspondence your recieve is from Medicade.

When neighborhood kids clamor for wheelchair rides.

when bus patrons ask you about tranfers and you brandish a board.

When this thread is the highlight of your day.

Thanks Garvey. I am not aware of any dis's doing sit up comedy. Perhaps there's a new career on the horizon.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

When the old lady living across the street says, "No wonder your brother shot you."

When you find yourself spending a significant amount of time thinking up replies to this thread.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    when the waitress asks the person beside you, "Does he drink water?"
    Another reply for your buddy to give, "No, and he's so dry pieces are flaking off him when he moves."
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    I'm not the only one, then. Happened to me at SEATAC. Woman dropped a $5 bill in my $4 soda as I watched people to kill time before my connecting flight. Got a "God bless you ..." as she stuck her hand in my cup. Wondered why she was messing with my drink util I say Abe floating on top.
    Damn, I need to hang out in more affluent places. Of course, in your case you only came out a buck ahead. My incident was a number of years ago, so inflation tempers it some. And the b***h didn't even leave the quarter after she saw the company ID on the back of my chair!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellonwheels
    Damn, I need to hang out in more affluent places. Of course, in your case you only came out a buck ahead. My incident was a number of years ago, so inflation tempers it some. And the b***h didn't even leave the quarter after she saw the company ID on the back of my chair!
    The nerve of that gal.

I no longer go topless/lid-free with any soda, tea or water I drink when I'm alone in public. Keeps some people from thinking I must be begging given the chair.

Does it help you guys to laugh at yourselves? Just curious, cos' I don't think I personally know any 'dis' that would find this funny one bit. Some of its pretty sick to me , after being introduced to sci and the amount of suffering I've seen over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads32
    Does it help you guys to laugh at yourselves? Just curious, cos' I don't think I personally know any 'dis' that would find this funny one bit. Some of its pretty sick to me , after being introduced to sci and the amount of suffering I've seen over the past few years.
    if i wont laugh and try to keep myself alive and active i will be history soon.
    actum non verba ...the latin advice.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

For me, it's ackowledging what happens. Yeah, maybe it's funny to some, maybe it's not to others. I have a pretty warped since of humor by this point in my life.

For example, I was stunned to learn HellOnWheels had a woman think he was panhandling, too. I'm not so alone reading what happens to others. We can totally relate to each other reading and sharing these things.

When things first happen, it may not be so funny, but then again, maybe it is. Given a tempering with time, yeah. Some of the things which happen can seem pretty outrageous.

It helps me to laugh. I try to laugh everyday even if that laughter comes as a result of my interactions with Wonder Dog.

I'm not new at being disabled. I was born disabled, then acquired an SCI not quite fourteen years ago. However, have a feeling I'd still be as irreverent as hell no matter. It's just how I am.

While I can and do laugh at much of what happens with me, I'm not going to laugh at anyone else. If someone else finds something funny about their own lives or experiences, I can laugh with them, but never, ever at them.

I definitely have a gallows, twisted humor, but it works for me. I make no apologies for that as it's never at someone else's expense. I may be irrerverent about my own life at times and not apply that irreverence to someone else.

We each have to find what works for us.

As for Wonder Dog and how I get humor with and from her ... I've posted this pic before, but it seems appropos given this thread. Even Wonder Dog has a sense of humor, is totally irreverent, too.

Maybe I get it from her.

Attachment 14756

As long as we are laughing at ourselves I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Being able to laugh at ourselves and the problems that come with our disability is healthy. If I couldn't laugh about it I would be a very depressed, angry person.
    Like Mem said as long as we are laughing at ourselves or with others there is nothing wrong with it. It probably also helps that my friends and I have pretty irreverent, twisted senses of humor too.
    ~Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

i know i'm disabled, when it's easier to roll thru the drive-thru at wendy's than try to get in their heavy ass door with the recessed handle....i know i'm disabled, when i worry more about the air pressure in my roho than in my van tires...