Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Ambulance Insurance Reimbursement

BCBS paid $17,000 for an air ambulance to take my husband (and myself) from Fargo to Craig Hospital in CO. He had been ICU 7 weeks.
    We were told it was because it was the closest rehab that would take someone on a ventilator.
    Someone from Craig came to see Dave and talk to us before he was accepted.
    I hated losing the insurance I had for many years.

BCBS paid for Ryan to fly from the level 1 trauma center in Norfolk, VA to Shepherd in Atlanta for rehab. He was still in the ICU but had stepped down from the trauma unit to the vent support unit. I worked with his case manager to get his transfer and rehab approved in advance. They tried to push for more local rehab but it really does not exist. They pretty much knew that getting to a model center for rehab was his only path to going home. I remember fighting with the office person for the air medical transportation company that I did not have to pay a deductible or any co-insurance. After six weeks in the trauma unit, two weeks in the vent support unit, three trips to surgery and everything else, we had met the out of pocket max a long time ago. When he told me that he would not schedule the transport until I gave him a credit card number, I scrambled my VISA number knowing that I was not going to have to pay for it.

You are lucky in that you got the transport and now have the time to fight with insurance regarding the payment. Your plan document will tell you if it is a covered expense. --eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Dave had an excellent social worker who has been around quite a while.
    We spent part of a day trying to scrape up the 20% that they wanted in advance to cover what insurance would not pay. We decided to use a credit card and were waiting for an authorization number.
    The social worker and case manager worked together and somehow it was all covered later that say.