Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foley Catheter use

Foley Catheter use

My question is this. I plan to use (already tried it for a weekend with a bellybag) a foley cath occasionally to get a good night sleep, on a trip or when going to an inconvenient place. Overnight or for a few days max, a few nights a month max.

Since I plan to use this mosly at night, can I clean the bellybag with the 10% bleach solution and reuse it the following night?? And using a new foley cath at night, can I reuse the saline solution syringe?? If so, for how long, how many nights can I reuse each?? Thanks for your response.

So routine would be, foley at night with bellybag, take it off in the morning and wash the bellybag, Intermittent cath during the day and use a new foley cath at night and reuse the bag and syringe with saline solution.

Last, is this recommended or can it harm me long term??

I had posted this question on another thread with little activity, so I decided to make this a thread heading. Hope you donĀ“t mind!!
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Yes you can clean the bag in the morning and use it at night. The catheter insertion kits come with a syringe. I don't think that I would reuse the syringe -
    Long term wise- I don't know of any literature out there that looks at the program that you are doing. I do know that the best thing for you is IC- however you need to weigh the pro's and con's with your doc and do what you both feel is in your best interet. To be honest, I do know a few people who do the same type of program and they seem to be doing fine.
    CKF

Do they sell sterile saline solution syringes, 10cc, without having to buy the entire foley insertion kit??

Where and at what price??? Thanks.

Allegromedical.com has some pretty reasonably priced foley kits that come with the syringe. Save the syringe after you inject the 5 or 10 cc that you need (I hope you're working w/your urologist on this?), because when you take the foley out, you're going to need to withdraw that 5/10 cc that you put in the balloon.

Good point, mamalady.
    CKF

hey paramoto, I wear a foley evey night because if I didn't my wife would never get a solid night's sleep from having to cath me in the middle of the night. My insurance pays for thirty foley caths and two overnight bags per month. I use sterile saline to inflate the balloon, and reuse the same syringe. The bag gets rinsed everday with water and twice a week with a bleach solution. Every two weeks I switch to a new bag. I'm not saying that this is the best way of doing things, but it works well for me. I do think that there has been studies that have shown that having an indwelling catheter even part time increases your chances of developing bladder cancer eventually, but hey, you gotta die of something. Maybe by the time I get bladder cancer, they'll know how to grow a new one from stem cells.

Thanks RB. It sounds like what I would like to do, but once or twice a week. Do you buy the sterile saline in a bottle and fill it every time, if so, do you use a needle or how? or do you reuse the solution also, and if so how many nights??

Quote Originally Posted by redbandit
    hey paramoto, I wear a foley evey night because if I didn't my wife would never get a solid night's sleep from having to cath me in the middle of the night. My insurance pays for thirty foley caths and two overnight bags per month. I use sterile saline to inflate the balloon, and reuse the same syringe. The bag gets rinsed everday with water and twice a week with a bleach solution. Every two weeks I switch to a new bag. I'm not saying that this is the best way of doing things, but it works well for me. I do think that there has been studies that have shown that having an indwelling catheter even part time increases your chances of developing bladder cancer eventually, but hey, you gotta die of something. Maybe by the time I get bladder cancer, they'll know how to grow a new one from stem cells.

I NEVER use saline,always tap water. I reuse the syringes for years. Not until I got a bunch of syringes last month, have I changed them. I believe I have had 5 syringes in over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Thanks RB. It sounds like what I would like to do, but once or twice a week. Do you buy the sterile saline in a bottle and fill it every time, if so, do you use a needle or how? or do you reuse the solution also, and if so how many nights??
    Yea, I buy the sterile saline in a bottle that has the squeeze top. I take the plunger out of the syringe and squirt the saline into the top of the syringe. I have a cap to close off the syringe so that the saline doesn't run out the bottom. You could use a syringe with a needle too and draw the saline up into the syringe or you could do it without the needle and have the saline in a container with a wide enough opening to fit the syringe into the saline and draw it up. With both of those methods however, you are repeatedly introducing a potential contaminant into your saline, whereas with the squirt method you are less likely to contaminate the saline. Of course you could squirt the 5 or 10cc of the saline into another sterile container then draw up the saline with the syringe or with a needle and syringe.

Or you could do like CapnGimp and just use tap water. It only really matters if the ballon bursts. Otherwise the saline or water never makes contact with the bladder. You could inject sewer water and be fine as long as the balloon doesn't fail and most likely it won't. I just prefer to be more conservative. I mean, you're not really being sterile anyway unless you are doing it in a clean room or under a sterile hood with sterile gloves, etc. so I would just do it the way your most comfortable with and stick with that unless any problems arise.

I do reuse the saline too. I just draw it out in the morning and save it in the syringe for the next night. You won't get 100% of it back out of the foley so after a while you'll need to add more saline back to the syringe. I wouldn't worry about changing the syringe and saline every time. I haven't changed my syringe for months. I just wash it with saoap and water occasionally.

You can get foleys separate without all the other mess and an overnight bag with the drainage tube. Then you just connect the foley to the drainage tube, lube up the cath, insert til you get pee, then inflate the balloon. Make sure you get pee before you inflate the ballon!! You don't want to inflate the balloon in your urethra.

Okay, hope that helps, good luck with it, it was really a good solution for me.

Hi,

I am after some help/info about foley catheters. I don't have a spinal injury so I'm not sure if my question is answerable but I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I've had a foley for the last 3 days with at least another 4 days to go, and it is driving me mad. I've had horrible bladder cramps, where the tube goes into me it's very red and itchy. Is this normal to happen??

Cheers
    Mops