Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Live from W2W 2007!

Thanks for this Kate, and I'm sure thats from most of us that can't be there.

Break time . . . people wandering around figuring out whether or not they know each other from CC . . . I gotta go find Nicole . . . brb.

Okay, we're back. Tricia Brooks, formerly of CRPA, is about to moderate a panel. There are patient advocates questioning the group that presented this morning.

First woman asks John MacDonald about the mechanism that got Pat Rummerfield back on his legs . . . does axon A have to connect to axon B?

He replies that . . . the nervous system in its early stages produces an abundance of connections, then prunes some of them back. How does it know which ones to prune? The ones that aren't functioning. What he seems to be saying is that neurons can be trained toward where you want them to go. I have to say that I wonder how his remarks about rehab and making the most of what you have feel to the many people in this room who are sitting in power chairs . . . now Dr Davies speaks to the same question. He thinks that some of his molecules will increase plasticity. The message seems to be that appropriate exercising combined with the right molecules will be what's needed. Dr. Deitrich is talking about the possibility that cures may have to be targeted to specific injuries.

Steven Edwards is asking them whether or not they would be willing to suggest to a 2008 presidential candidate that there may be cures possible during the 08-12 term . . . and what it would take to make that happen.

Dietrich answers first, and says (again) that yes it's possible, given enough money and time, to make safe and reliable cures happen in the near term.

MacDonald answers that time is money, money is time. We can shorten the time if we have the $$$$$$$. He wants there to be a home-based therapy available to everyone. Starting with regional centers capable of doing the higher level assessments to figure out what actually works best. That, he says, is doable today. The hard part would be to make it available to everyone.

Next questioner: We're here to ask the legislators to pass CRPDA . . .what would this legislation do for you and your research?

Woman answers: Right now money is extraordinarily tight for researchers. Right now it takes 3 passes through the NIH to get funded, and that means 3 years. The CRPDA would make a huge change by requiring scientists in a number of areas to collaborate. Davies answers, total agreement, and that collaboration is the only way.

Next questioner: How do you bridge the gap between what you need in dollars and what you have?

Davies: I spend a lot of time on the road being a salesman. I'm at Colorado because they lured us in . . . people don't realize that you have to run your lab like a little business. You have to find the dollars to even pay yourself.

MacDonald: I just want to emphasize how serious this is. We're at a breakpoint. 30 years of effort and millions and millions of dollars to get people at a point where they can work effectively . . .and all over people are closing their labs. It's unfathomable what's happening right now. People are leaving in droves.

Tricia: We got ourselves to the threshold, and they won't let us cross into the room. We have to make sure that the science continues.

(well, that was depressing.)

Next question: How can advocates best use our energy? What can we do to help you?

Miami: Be absolutely informed. If you're going to talk to your neighbor, you have to know what you're talking about. Go to legislators, who can change policy. We had a very important grant with an outstanding at NIH, and it did not get funded.

MacDonald: This is a longterm race, and the key to it is the multifold expansion of your efforts. Figure out how to multiply your efforts by a thousand. For a relatively small amount of $$$, together, we could have a voice that carries on forever. The biggest voice are those voices here in DC.

Question: If restorative therapies are possible in the next president's term, how do you answer the old response: it's ALWAYS 5 more years.

Davies: The understanding has improved exponentially, and just in the last 5 years. We really are going to see something . . . I've been in the field for 17 years, and the material I showed you today is the first time I've been able to say, "I've really got something."

Miami: So many, many centers are now working together, which is exactly what needed to be done. We're in a different time and place.

MacDonald: It's events like this that make an impact . . .It's unbelievable what organizations have been able to accomplish. YOU have made a really big difference. Researchers used to go for decades and never even talk to somebody with a spinal cord injury. There are amazing results coming out under the worst possible conditions (meaning little funding and no respect and politics against us).

Question: I am a science teacher for young students . . .how can children do something NOW?

(gonna post this before my battery gives out . . .brb)

Great updates and effort. Thanks kate.

Time for lunch . . . I think I get to share a meal with my best buddy Leschinsky, whom I just met. She's great!

While the battery charges and I get some nourishment, get ready for the next act . . keynote speech by Wise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    Time for lunch . . . I think I get to share a meal with my best buddy Leschinsky, whom I just met. She's great!

While the battery charges and I get some nourishment, get ready for the next act . . keynote speech by Wise.
    Kate you are doing greatttttt girl! I can't wait for Dr. Young to speak lol. Have a nice lunch, and come baCK SOON! You are better than TV reporters.
    manouli.

Quote Originally Posted by manouli
    Kate you are doing greatttttt girl! I can't wait for Dr. Young to speak lol. Have a nice lunch, and come baCK SOON! You are better than TV reporters.
    manouli.
    I agree. I already feel shamed by Dogger and Carbar's attendance and now Kate's commentary is making me want to be there even more. Especially if she's lunching with Kinky Les!

Thanks Kate
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

great job kate and all cc members who are there.god bless you.i wished i was able to be there .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Thank You Kate!!!

Your "blow by blow" is fabulous! Thank you so much for being there for those of us who couldn't make it this year.
    Mimi

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is great Kate, you rock