Thread: bladder flush with vinegar and sterile water

bladder flush with vinegar and sterile water

My husband had a foley catheter installed for 2 years after his injury. He had a chronic UTI and was antibiotic resistant. We came home from the hospital and since I am a fanatic about his water intake, lots of cranberry juice, he made it about 5 months without a UTI. When his urine was tested, he was no longer antibiotic resistant. We went to intermittent cathing a couple of months ago, and he got a really bad UTI - in fact, he had to be hospitalized for 2 days. He was taking Macro iv in hospital and came home for 10 more days orally. The UTI went away, but now I see his urine is a bit cloudy. We were visiting with a friend who is 27 years post injury and he told us about using sterile water and vinegar for bladder flushes. He said that it has worked for him for over 10 years. So, now my question is - how to do the flush? I know from reading posts that you use 2 T vinegar to 1 liter of sterile water. Do I use one of my disposable catheters and use a syringe full of the liquid, how much liquid? Our friend said he uses about as much liquid as he ususally urinates: 300 to 400 ml? That seems like a lot to force into the bladder. Advise and information, instructions, any one?
    Iris

oiii, that sounds dangerous, im on a foley for several years now, i woudlnt inject that concoction inside by bladder, that would seemingly irritate the bladder and cause cancer.

One of the great things about this site is that you can get information from a lot of people. I can tell you that the urologists that I have been around have not recomended this. I recomend that you check it out with thme before I would irrigate my bladder using this.
    CKF

Hey there,

I'm glad to share what I know about battling UTI's.

First, the more rest you get, the tougher your immune system. BUT, no sleep aids, pills etc. I took ambien, then lunesta and made myself more suseptible to uti's. Even if you are just resting in bed, plan on going to bed early.

Next a prescription for Uroquid Acid. Big yellow horse pills that at first sign of uti you can take two up to 4x a day, but just two morning, two at bedtime for everyday use. These are not covered by insurance initially but with a Dr. note for need, no problem.

Next for everyday use in conjuction with uroquid acid
    CVS max cranberry pills about $14 per bottle. two in morning, two at night.

OK now the heavy artillery. I would save using injections as a last resort, but, when neccessary, with a pistol syringe (not bulb) you can use hydrogen peroxide to irrigate your bladder, BUT DO NOT USE ABOVE THE STRENGTH FOR ORAL SUSPENSION. This would be less than 3%, more to the tune of 1.5% In other words, if it's too strong to gargle with, it's too strong to inject into bladder.

No more than 200 cc's and no longer than five minutes in bladder.

I do not use this method. I use 4 parts saline solution with one part white vinegar and inject 200 ccs for no longer than 5 minutes. I would ask sci nurses for their opinion on what is best for you. In this way, you should significantly reduce your # of uti's without antibiotics.

I use a bard touchless catheter to first void, then cut the bag so the tube is exposed. I then used the piston syringe to inject solution into bladder. 200-300 ccs should be fine. Do not add too much vinegar. I use 75 ml of white vinegar into 300 ccs of saline- well stirred. After you are done, flush syringe and cylinder with 91% alcohol thoroghly and let air dry.

Good luck!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I agree that being able to get lots of information from this site/forum is great.

Ok, so last night before I had received any tips, I went ahead and clean cathed my husband. I tossed the catheter I used for his cathing, replaced with a clean one then I inserted 60cc of vinegar/saline solution, held it in for about 30 seconds, withdrew the solution, flushed that then with new solution, I did the same thing again, then replaced his condom catheter and hooked it up to his drainage bag. There were no bad reactions on his part, he slept well all night. This am he had about 1,000cc in his collection bag and when I cathed him he only had about 250cc in his bladder. The urine was clear and had no smell to it.

I will continue reading the replies to my post, and if this doesn't work, then I will have to try something else. Thanks so much, everyone.

Iris

Iris -
    One thing to keep in mind is the difference between colonization and a true UTI. In a "normal" person, colonization - bacteriuria, or bacteria in the urine - generally signifies a UTI. However, for people who must catheterize, and especially for those with an indwelling catheter, bacteriuria without other symptoms such as fever does not mean UTI.

Are you familiar with the Paralyzed Veterans of America and their excellent publications? Go to the PVA publications web page and you can download Bladder Management for Adults with Spinal Cord Injury: A Clinical Practice Guideline for Health-Care Professionals. There are several other very helpful publications there, written both for professionals and for consumers. I also highly recommend the ones on neurogenic bowel and on pressure ulcers.

My wife has a Foley. Her urine is almost always cloudy and smelly. She has seen two urologists. The first one had us irrigate her bladder with an antibiotic. I did that for a short time, but then realized (after it was pointed out here on CC) that all I was doing was taking the bugs in her bladder out to the gym for a workout every day, and we'd simply end up with neosporin-resistant bacteria. The second wanted us to irrigate with plain saline solution. Again, ????. So she just drinks a lot of water. She also takes cranberry extract; I don't know whether that really helps, but that can't hurt.

By the way, welcome to CareCure, Iris. You'll find that there is a lot of help available here, and golly, for sure a lot is needed!

- Richard

Iris:
    If the method of irrigating seems to be helping, I do not knock it. I don't know if you need to change and use a second catheter- every time you cath him, you are irritating the the urethra.
    CKF

My secret weapon has been drinking orange juice. It seems to help keep the infections away, and helps me get rid of infections when I get one.

Quote Originally Posted by amarillogal
    My secret weapon has been drinking orange juice. It seems to help keep the infections away, and helps me get rid of infections when I get one.
    OJ goes in an acid but comes out a base. I know, I thought I was doing right too.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Gosh, everyone is so helpful. Richard, yes, I have a hard copy of the PVA's bladder care publication. What is interesting, tho, is that the friend I mentioned that told us about this type of irrigation is one of the PVA's representatives at the VA hospital we go to. I am so grateful to the VA and all they have done for us. The help our local PVA chapter has been priceless.

So, I did the flush again tonight with 60cc of the liquid two times. His urine has no smell, but when I cath him the end of the drainage from his bladder is cloudy. When we go back to the VA next month I will bring a sample in for them to test again. Since his UTI in March was so severe, they want to test and culture his urine monthly until it is totally clear for a couple of months. That is why I am trying all this.

Again, thanks everyone for your replies.

Iris