Thread: Which handcycle?

Which handcycle?

hi which handcycle do yall use and why and is the lower the bike the bettr im asuming it would more stable ill be riding maimly on pavement so i thought id ask everyones opinioin thanks for the input
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-24-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I ride an Invacare XLT Pro. I tried it out at a bike clinic along with several other handcycles, and I liked how I felt the best in the XLT Pro.

I know one of the advantages of having a lower to the ground bike is that those bikes tend to have more gears on them than a higher one. This is extremely important if you are going on longer rides with various road conditions (hills, etc). Captain Gimp probably will have other answers...but this is one advantage.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I have done a lot of looking at handcycles and reading about the pros and cons. I like the XLT Gold. If you can afford it - the cheap ones which are far off the ground will only do on the side walk and I can't imagine that they would go very fast, or climb much of a hill.

Blog Entries
    The lower the better so ya don't roll at every little curve when flying. They tip easy. THAT is why I'd LOVE to try a leansteer, I hate slowing for turns and climbing a steep hill with a steep turn on the xlt pro is a pain in the ARSE!

The "cheaper ones" are for folks who can't get down into one easily. They still go, The ONLY other handcycle I have seen was an upright with a teenager riding it. He rode in the same 23 mile ride I did, wasn't quite as fast but he was having just as much fun. (His shiRt eatin grin matched mine )

You can ride a low one. You need to think about hills and gears. The steeper the hill and the more outta shape, the lower the gear you will be looking for, trust me. Once you get in shape, you won't use those two smaller chainrings, but until then, you have friends indeed, in them.
    There ARE mountain drives but whoa, are they pricey!

I would like to try a quickie shark just to see how that seatback works when climbing this cliff I live on. The Freedom Ryder leansteer bikes are right up your alley, their headsteer bike is awesome for it's adjustability/portability/simplicity.

They've listed the various accessories already. I'll just add shop around for prices, I use ebay. Most bike shops in a store COST. I also use www.greenfishsports. They have super deals and clearances often for parts and accessories.
    www.bike-on.com for some knowledgable/helpful folks and they sell used and new, classifieds chairs, etc.

I ride an XLT Pro. I'm gonna build my own frame sometime. Too many things I DON'T like about this one but that is just me. Now that I have ridden over 3500 miles on mine, I KNOW what I want.
    You being a low level para, look at a lean steer bike, and ride one if ya can. I have never had opportunity to ride anything else but mine. I agree with Curt, the new Freedom Ryder headsteer bike has incorporated a lot of the ideas I have for mine. Not real fond of the frame but it is BETTER than the curved ones on the xlt's in my opinion.
    Adjustabilty in EVERY aspect is key. You will find that slight adjustments to hand spacing, crank height and distance from you, seat height, dump, backrest angle, ALL can make a big difference.
    Therein lies the secret to a good one.

Otay, I believe I have rambled enough, if ya have anymore questions, holler.
    I GUARANTEE you will be glad you got one, whatever ya get. GREAT for the health.

thanks for the advice guys im talking to bike on people think andy is his name ill post some pics when i get it cap your a riding man thanks for the info yall have a goodone
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I just bought a Greenspeed that was designed by discussion with the guys at Greenspeed. I prefer two wheels at the front and one wheel at the back, and the rear wheel drive to the more usual front wheel drive, one wheel at the front trikes.
    The rear wheel drive gives you better traction on steep hills in the rain and two wheels at the front means that the mud and rain off the road gets sprayed down either side of you instead of in your face. The shorter wheelbase on the Greenspeeeds and the centre point steering gives them a tighter turning circle than most hand bikes and the two wheels at the front make it easy to reverse as the front wheels are in reach and you just pull on them, similar to reversing your wheelchair. I wanted a faster design than the standard Greenspeed hand trike so I had one built with skinnier wheels, lower to the ground and more reclined. Instead of getting the mountain drive on it I got the speed drive which gives you a set of high-ratio gears as well as the standard ratio, 54 gears total. It was expensive but I have been handcycling for a while and knew what I liked and what I wanted. It is still fairly new and I am getting used to it but I am pleased with it.