Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Toy Wanted

New Toy Wanted

Computer People,

I'm looking to spend $2000-$2500 on a new laptop next month. I'm tired of juggling files back and forth from my desktop, tablet, and external hard drive. I want a nice laptop with at least a 160 GB of hard drive space, 2 GB of RAM and a DVD burner for backing up movies or something.

I'm not a gamer, but I'd like at least a 17" widescreen display. I'm thinking of having a newer router and TV tuner card to play with included in that price.

I can get a free copy Vista Business from my school to upgrade from Home Premium or whatever is included, but should I consider Ultimate?

Suggestions?

Look at this, shop with this

A buisness model HP NX9400 series are smoken machines, but only 120G. They're about 2-2500 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Look at this, shop with this
    Because of their shitty customer service, I am so over Dell!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Yeah, unless you enjoy calling India for issues, Dell is lacking in that regard. However, I've had 3 of their laptops so far and I'm not very gentle with them...no problems thus far. Considering that hardware for hardware they are the cheapest, seems like a good deal to me. Just make sure you pile on the coupon codes when buying, there is the 'list' price, then the 'coupon' price which ranges from 25-45% less. Nice to be able to spec out just what you want in the machine as well.

Alienware > Dell

however, Apple > *.*

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Yeah, unless you enjoy calling India for issues, Dell is lacking in that regard. However, I've had 3 of their laptops so far and I'm not very gentle with them...no problems thus far. Considering that hardware for hardware they are the cheapest, seems like a good deal to me. Just make sure you pile on the coupon codes when buying, there is the 'list' price, then the 'coupon' price which ranges from 25-45% less. Nice to be able to spec out just what you want in the machine as well.
    I'm not talking about our tech friends in Bombay or Manilla-that's another story. It's the rotten attitude of CUSTOMER SERVICE that lost me as a loyal Dell buyer. I had a part go bad right before hurricane Wilma. Other things took priority, and by the time I called Dell I was a week out of warranty. They pretty much told me TooFuxingBad. Except they weren't that nice. Different story before the sale.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

There is a compelling reason to select Vista Ultimate versus Home Premium, but I don't recall what it is. I have started to use Vista Home Premium on a new laptop that is made by Toshiba. It has 1 GB of RAM and a Core Duo processor. I would prefer a Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM, but this computer seems just fine. I have no complaints. I believe Vista Ultimate comes with DreamScene along with BitLocker and I am sure there is something else for the enthusiast.

I like Dell laptops but I concur about their tech support. If you are sophisticated then this is not an issue, unless there is a hardware problem. I recently heard that the Chinese are not keeping up the quality on the Lenovo Laptops so I don't think I will be recommending them. Apple's MacBook Pro would make a good Windows computer, a la Apple's Boot Camp.

Scott, honestly, Hell will freeze over before I own an Apple. I see the grads who spend time in the Mac lab fighting over low paying jobs, while the networking and programming grads are getting to choose between 5-7 offers with high starting salaries 20% higher than they were just a few years ago. I get that artsy people like you love them, but they don't run the business world.

I'm getting some grant money from the school, so I'm considering this for going back and forth from home to campus:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

That thing is HUGE. Your better off with a 15 or 17 and an external 21" monitor at home.