Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me fix my sideguards!

keps - I changed to a bigger, I guess more heavy duty solid guard, because I couldnt stand the flimsy little plastic ones getting knocked out so much (I'm on a 20" seat, so going bigger isnt an option either).....spacing out the clamp sounds like the best option though

Quote Originally Posted by sledhockeygirl
    I used to just crank the bolt as tight as humanly possible.
    Be careful when doing this...I had the same problem...went in and tightened the bolt...so much so that I broke the bolt! Now I have to wait until the new brackets are delivered.

Locktite (do not know if I spelled that right) in combination with tightening the bolt may do the trick. I personally want to use gorilla glue to see what happens. It says it will bond metal to metal...and it is waterproof. What do I have to loose besides the skin on my hips???
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I've heard of this problem happening with side guards, that's why I put off getting them for ages. The ones I did eventually wind up with were the ones for quickie - but they're the aluminum sliding ones. They can't rotote, and they're very solid. You might be able to find a pair on ebay?

i fixed mine on my 2hp by removing the brackets, putting a drop of gorilla glue on ea. half and re-assembling them with some thread-loc in the screws....no more movin.....

This thread has really helped me.

I tried 'Chelle's suggestion of the rubber - unfortunately, the guard I tried it on still moved. But I hope it works for you if you try it, Sjean.

And sjean - it's good to know of another female in a 19" seat.

So, after seeing glue mentioned by sledhockeygirl, Wheeliecoach and justadildo, I've tried that (just on the worst guard for now) - and fingers crossed, but the guard hasn't moved since.

Herco - well, transfers weren't helping. But today, I just wondered what would happen if I pushed the guard - and it moved easily. I wasn't even pushing hard. So I'm certain it's a fault with the chair, as others have said.

Jeannette - if the glue proves not to be a permanent solution (but I'm hoping it is), aluminium guards are going to be my next step.

Thanks again guys!

Done car tranfers, and NO sideguard problems. Hurray for superglue and CCers!

Reviving this thread because I didn't want to start another.

The sideguards have been fine ever since they were glued. They never moved since.
    But I have another problem, and I hope CCers can help once again.

I have a 5 year old Quickie Argon. In the last 6 months or so, there's been a problem with my right hand wheel. As you know, both wheels should always be parallel to the sideguards, and not move closer. Well now my right hand wheel keeps moving close to the sideguard, it's slowly worsening to the point I fear it's one day going to be so tight against the sideguard, I won't be able to move.
    The wheel seems not to move much if I'm going forward in a straight line, but if I wheel backwards, or backwards and to the side, the wheel really comes in to meet the sideguard.
    The wheel itself seems stable. It doesn't wobble and still looks like it's positioned normally. I can't understand what the problem might be, or how to fix it.
    Any ideas?

If that wheel does not wobble, it almost has to be the side guard pushing out. What you are describing is exactly what I went through when my Roho high profile pressed against the plastic side guards, especially with weight shifts. I had sideguards made from 3/16" aluminum and that solved my problem. It was cheaper than buying a narrower Roho, which can also work.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It is the same on my Quickie too. When I use it, it makes a strange sound like a bird and it is the sideguard in the wheel. I only use that chair inside, I don't like it. It is ok inside but heave to wheel outside.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Thanks guys, but I'm certain it's the wheel moving. The sideguard does not shift at all. The thing that the sideguard slots into is glued fast in place.
    I just tried moving the sideguard and it does not budge at all.

The cushion I sit on is an inch smaller than my wheelchair seat (both ways), so it does not touch the sideguards at all.