Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Links to discussion of Geeta Shroff stem cell therapy in India

Links to discussion of Geeta Shroff stem cell therapy in India

We have had many questions raised by visitors concerning Geeta Shroff and her Miracle cure for paralyzed people. I thought that it would be good to summarize CareCure postings from people have visited her and have expressed opinions concerning the treatment.

The following is a huge thread that contains over 286 posts from people who have visited the center and many of whom have received treatments, including some who have not gotten any functional recovery and are suing her.
    REPORTS OF PATIENTS TREATED BY DR. GEETA SHROFF, INDIA (Human ...

Many researchers are upset by the claims made by Geeta Shroff (Source). She is a 41-year old doctor who heads a "genetics research laboratory and hospital in south Delh who claims to have produced and purified stem cells from human embryos (these are what researchers usually call fetal cells and not what is commonly referred to as embryonic stem cells). She injects the cells either intramuscularly or "at the base of the spine" (presumably intrathecally. She has never published any of her results.

According to Guardian Newspaper on 11/17/2005, Geeta Shroff works in a 3-story, 20-bed hospital called Nu Tech Mediworld in South Delhi. She graduated from Delhi University school of medical science in 1993 and worked with Vera Hingorani at India's top medical institute, the All India Institute of Medical Science. She apparently devleoped a technique for determining a baby's sex without taking a scan but apparently the government stopped this practice. She started working with stem cells in 1999.

According to http://www.sci-therapies.info/Stem-Cells.htm which describes various "stem cell" therapies being applied to people with spinal cord injury, Dr. Shroff has treated over 100 patients with various "incurable" diseases. There have been many anecdotal stories of recovery. For example, Ajit Jogi, a member of the Indian Parliament, who had become paralyzed from an accident, said that his "organs made dramatic improvement" after he received Dr. Shroff's treatment and that he is "almost normal". Shortly after the interview, he suffered a heart attack that left him in a serious condition (Source).

The http://www.netphotograph.com/article.php?id=43 web site describes patients that Dr. Shroff has treated, range from cases as varied as motor neuron disease and sarcoidosis to traumatic brain injury. In places like India, thousands of desperate families are calling stem cell scientists for information and treatments (Source). A number of doctors, such as Geeta Shroff, have taken advantage of the desperation of people. There are claims that an "independent neurologist" has visited the clinic and confirmed that some of her patients with spinal cord injury have shown improvement. But, she has been sharply criticized by senior government officials in Inida that "she has not provided a shred of evidence that would withstand rigorous scientific scrutiny. Testimonials by patients do not constitute scientific proof that therapy works".

In a January 6, 2006 presentation to the ICMR, a governmental agency, Dr. Shroff re-iterated that her satisfied patients are the proof of her "treatment" but experts were not satisfied that she provided any scientific evidence that her therapy works (Source). She had claimed on November 16, 2005, that she had successfully treated 100 patients with various life-threatening diseases (Source).

On April 14, 2007, Skynews and the Herald Sun Sunday reported that an Australian woman Sonya Smith (45) had been treated by Geeta Shroff and was shown on Sky News walking with the help of calipers and crawling. Mrs. Smith said that "it's just amazing, the difference", that she could not move anything after 18 months of physiotherapy in Australia. She said that she had been there for 9 weeks and that her toes are moving and that "it's the stem cells that have really made the difference."

Please note that the clinic of Geeta Shroff is not the only center in India offering stem cell therapies. For example, here is a report for Patelville who reported his experience with "Lifeline Hospital" in Chennai (Madras) and bone marrow cell transplants (
    My stem cell treatment trip). As described in the WHO sponsored web site on spinal cord injury therapies http://www.sci-therapies.info/Stem-Cells.htm , many doctors all over the world have been transplanting a variety of stem cells into the spinal cord of patients. Few, if any of these, are being tested and evaluated in a rigorous clinical trial setting.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    As described in the WHO sponsored web site on spinal cord injury therapies http://www.sci-therapies.info/Stem-Cells.htm , many doctors all over the world have been transplanting a variety of stem cells into the spinal cord of patients. Few, if any of these, are being tested and evaluated in a rigorous clinical trial setting.

Wise.
    Dr. Young,

If you could use one word to describe the doctors who promote and practice such procedures, what would that word be?

Agios

Quote Originally Posted by Agios
    Dr. Young,

If you could use one word to describe the doctors who promote and practice such procedures, what would that word be?

Agios
    Agios,

I don't want to use that word.

Wise.

Agios,

Wise.
    Wise,

LOL!!! You are truly a gentleman and a scholar... and a very funny guy!

Peace, love and energy,

Agios
    Last edited by Agios; 04-15-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Agios,

Wise.
    Dr. Young, LOL LOL LOL you are the best.

Dear Dr Young
    My Name Is Karen I Have Motor Neuron Disease I Have Been To China And Have Had Stem Cell Treatment Done This Was In November 2006 I Feel I Need To Have Some More Treatment Done And I Am Thinking Of Going To Delhi For The Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment As I Feel That This Is The Best Stem Cell To Have ( Do You Think So) In China I Had Umbilical Cord Stem Cell, I Am Asking Your Opinion On All This If You Dont Mind. I Am New To This Site. This My Email Address I You Would Like To Give Me Some Advice karenbrooks@dodo.com.au Thank You .

Quote Originally Posted by tassieskys
    Dear Dr Young
    My Name Is Karen I Have Motor Neuron Disease I Have Been To China And Have Had Stem Cell Treatment Done This Was In November 2006 I Feel I Need To Have Some More Treatment Done And I Am Thinking Of Going To Delhi For The Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment As I Feel That This Is The Best Stem Cell To Have ( Do You Think So) In China I Had Umbilical Cord Stem Cell, I Am Asking Your Opinion On All This If You Dont Mind. I Am New To This Site. This My Email Address I You Would Like To Give Me Some Advice karenbrooks@dodo.com.au Thank You .
    Dear Karen,

I am sorry but from, what I have read of Geeta Shroff and what people have posted, I am not sure that she is transplanting embryonic stem cells. There is a distinct lack of detail and information concerning the cells and the rationale for the use of these cells for motoneuronal disease. While I understand that time is of the essence and desperate need to do something about your situation, I doubt that this treatment will do anything to help you.

Wise.

thank you dr wise thanks for getting back to me i am very confused about the treatments i can not understand how geeta shroff is able to do this treatment when no one else is able to do this treatment,and is she a freud.who knows.
    Dear Karen,

I am sorry but from, what I have read of Geeta Shroff and what people have posted, I am not sure that she is transplanting embryonic stem cells. There is a distinct lack of detail and information concerning the cells and the rationale for the use of these cells for motoneuronal disease. While I understand that time is of the essence and desperate need to do something about your situation, I doubt that this treatment will do anything to help you.

Wise.

Geeta Shroff vs. reason

Hello Dr. and everyone,

I have been researching stem cell therapy for the last two years in my spare time. I am a disability support worker and an avid reader of non-fiction science. I have just begun supporting somebody with a Spinal Cord Injury, and my research has become highly relevant. I recommend the book "Stem Cells" by Australian Author Elizabeth Finkel. She is truly accomplished and extremely clear in her explanation of this field of biology.

Science and the nature of science are both extremely important when it comes to brand new therapies for anything like SCI. Modern Western Science has a procedure by which clinical (human) trials of such therapies are the last stage in an exhaustive process of evidence gathering and rigorous scientific recording. This evidence and scientific recording is presented to the scientific community and the general public in well regarded journals such as NATURE and/or MEDICINE or many more depending on the country. These papers are then peer reviewed and assessed by government agencies which control the stages of the process (in America it's the FDA). These agencies set strict parameters and guidelines which the trial and pre-trial science must follow to the letter.

For example: The closest thing to a clinical trial of Human Embryonic Stem Cells for Spinal Cord Injury in America, is being funded by bio-pharmaceutical company : GERON

http://www.geron.com/media/pressview.aspx?id=840

The lab performing the fundamental research is the UC Irvine Reeve Laboratory

http://www.reeve.uci.edu/index.php
    (started by Christopher Reeve - of superman fame).

They have completed the most promising pre-clinical trial research that has seen animals (Mice/rats) with SCI get up and walk again after Stem Cell Treatment. This Lab developed the most crucial type of stem cell line (thanks to Dr. Keirstead ) of Oligodendrocytes Stem Cells. The FDA of America has not approved them for Clinical trials, putting their application on hold (we don't know why yet).

Evidence and Double (triple, quadruple and so on..) checked evidence is crucial in verifying the efficacy and safety of a possible stem cell therapy for SCI, or for anything else.

Geeta Shroff won't publish any papers - she won't subject her work to scientific inquiry. NO evidence is offered excepting the testimonials of patients - this will not be considered evidence in just the same way that peoples testimony that star signs apply to them will not be accepted as evidence for the dubious anti-scientific, money making field of 'Astrology'. (the location of the few planets in our solar system having a strong influence on our love lives and finances..if you believe that, go see Geeta) She has however applied for a patent on her invention.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/es/ia.jsp?...2&DISPLAY=DESC

As far as I can tell it only tells us what Geeta thinks her therapy can do. She proceeds to disregard all the processes by which stem cells are cultivated in Labs worldwide and claims that she can create her own lines which do not require any of the additives used by leading researchers. She then documents a huge number of examples- each with only one small paragraph and no supporting evidence - only her claims. No reviews. No studies on the real prior state and post state of patients. No real evidence - just a whole bunch of quasi-science. All the right words - but no real evidence - a patent on a product that she's developed on her own - a unique miracle cure to every single disability that she can name.A product that's raking in the money and claiming that customer satisfaction is enough to justify it's extraordinary claims - like a skincare product - a zit removal cream where famous people tell us that it worked for them. Only she's not removing zits - she's injecting an unscientifically verified substance into the base of peoples spines. This is truly concerning.

If Geeta Shroffs Anti Scientific Practices aren't enough to make people suspicious then maybe these articles are:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-17-2005-81689.asp

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/a...aspx?id=273191

http://cities.expressindia.com/fulls...?newsid=164347

I am hugely in favour of stem cell research - it is the most promising therapy of our time. I see no ethical issues in the procurement of stem cells, embryonic or otherwise. But I am definately strongly opposed to the false hope being offered by Geeta Shroff. False hope with a very high price. At least it could be!

And there should be no room for error where your health is concerned. The Scientifically promising work of Gerons research team will be worth the wait - What's the worse that could happen? I could be wrong and you wait a few years until there is amazing evidence from Geeta Shroffs Corner - people actually come out walking without calipers and a walking frame, there is scientific evidence and the world accepts her practices - you go and see her and you are one of her happy customers. You had all the evidence and no worries before spending your life savings (or all those raised funds).

OR....I'm right...and you waited...you saw all the terrible news stories about the mad doctor injecting bad cells into unsuspecting Westerners who'd saved thousands of dollars only to end up with a terrible tumor or few or no positive effects at all - lucky you didn't go!

...or I'm right but you go now anyway..you get the injections and the physical therapy and a new pair of calipers...you come home and you can breathe a little better, maybe you have more sensation in your toes or your bladder..are you walking? has it delivered really? And what's this? the FDA has approved clinical trials in America! They're going ahead and the results are amazing.. only you can't afford it because Geeta Shroff is spending your money on her secret getaway.

Call me skeptical..but I'd rather be skeptical and wrong than blindly faithful and wrong. We need to be proud of our scientific achievements and our social/political/ethical guards around our science. There are good reasons why our clinical trials are slow on the startup - there are considerable risks involved in real (and fake!) stem cell therapy - it's a brand new science that deserves our caution and respect. I believe Geeta Shroff to be praying on the desperate and ignorant - being desperate I can understand.

Wise

It can never be said too much. Thanks for all you have done and continue to do for the SCI community.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg