Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure sores

There is no indication that moisture (urine or stool) is a factor in this breakdown. It is pressure. No skin barrier or ointment will protect from the effects of pressure.

Zinc toxicity can be caused by excessive use of zinc supplements when the skin is intact. Zinc supplements do nothing to prevent skin breakdown. You need to take them when the skin is broken as lots of zinc is lost in the drainage, and is needed for tissue repair.

(KLD)

I don't know if this topic is closed or not, but my son had the same thing. It was just a spot, but from what i understand , it was a pressure sore (and they grow from the inside out) . We have been treating it for 3 years now(he's 32 t/3-4. Take your son back to doctor to be sure this is not what is happening with him.They can get out of hand so fast

I left my husband at a nursing facility for three weeks and this is what he came home with. They, (staff) told him he did not have a pressure sore but instead looked like he had not been dried. When I picked him up he was sweating profusely, lots of pain, and had been throwing up, etc. I plan to call his doctor tomorrow but wanted to ask what stage is this? Not sure if the picture will appear.

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 08-30-04 at 08:47 PM.]

Holy cow. Sorry about the size of the picture.

Wow...That IS big..but looks to me like infection pus etc. I can't believe they would let it get that far at a hospital...well, I take that back....we have had all kinds of bad care...I hope you can get a handle on it soon!
    Blessings on you...Sandy

It is hard to tell with the quality of the photo, but this is at least a stage II pressure ulcer. It is not a maceration type skin breakdown from moisture, although this would certainly make it worse. You may have reason to file a formal complaint and perhaps legal action against this nursing home. Nursing homes are notorious as a place to get pressure ulcers.

See his physician right away, and no laying on his back or sitting until it is healed. Until you see the physician, keep it covered with a dressing that will keep it moist (not wet).

(KLD)

See your private topics for an off topic response from me.

Zillazangel, I am an able bodied significant other of a C4/5 quadriplegic man

Nurse, I just wanted to let you know that I followed your advice and consulted my MD about my sweethearts pressure sore. I still find it hard to believe that a nurse would consistently tell him it wasn't a pressure sore but instead an area that had not been dried. Turns out that even after all of this time of keeping him off it, and caring for it, it is still a Stage 3. The doctor ordered home health to come out since we live so far away from his office it would mean a minimum of 2 hours in his chair just in travel. Anyway, my point being, it sure is nice to have you. Thanks.