Thread: To treat or not to treat UTI?

To treat or not to treat UTI?

My 19 y.o daughter is 3 months post injury and has had one uti. This past monday and Tuesday, she had increased leg muscle spasms, low grade temp for a few hours and increased urge to urinate (with volumes of 200). They did a UA and it was negative, but the culture results yesterday were positive and she got a Rx for an antibiotic. But now she is completely asymptomatic. Should she start the antibiotic? Please give me your input.

If the tests came back positive, yes. Sometimes symptoms hide themselves, but they'll come back and probably stronger. Encourage her to drink lots of water also--even if she doesn't feel like it. I know that sometimes I have to force water down because it just makes me wanna puke.

Hope she feels better soon.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by yellowlilly
    My 19 y.o daughter is 3 months post injury and has had one uti. This past monday and Tuesday, she had increased leg muscle spasms, low grade temp for a few hours and increased urge to urinate (with volumes of 200). They did a UA and it was negative, but the culture results yesterday were positive and she got a Rx for an antibiotic. But now she is completely asymptomatic. Should she start the antibiotic? Please give me your input.
    I've been in the same spot more than once. I wouldn't take the antibiotic unless symptomatic. Your just setting your self up for major trouble down the road. But by all meens push liquids big time, I normaly mega dose vitamin C to change the PH for 4-6 days as well. (4,000 to 6,000mg) And let your own body try fighting it off, as it seems she is doing right now. Keep the script for a bit incase, but if it clears, dump it. To tempting to reach for the quick fix the next time something pops up. Just my experiance 30 years post.

Good question. If she is asymptomatic, she probably is colonized. But maybe just a temporary lack of symptoms. Be ready to get the prescription filled immediatey & have her start taking it right away(as in 24 our pharmacy ) if any of the symptoms return or if she has other symtoms.

CWO

What can you do if you have a UTI that is resistant to all oral antibiotics, other than an IV? Anything else?

Thanks

Yes, IV it would have to be.There are quite a few oral choices though but over use when abx not really needed and not completing a course of antibiotics and taking them as prescribed leads to resistance.

CWO